YOU LIED TO HIM

Emma's POV:

I unlock the car and shut the door before walking towards the agency. And for the kind information, I didn't steal the car. I rented it, sorts of.

I do the retinal scan before stepping inside. I am greeted with darkness. Probably everyone is asleep except for the guards. I calmly walk towards the chief's office.

"He is gonna be proud of you," I hear Edward say happily beside me. I nod to myself as I walk up the stairs. There are few unanswered questions which is bothering me right now.

How does Antonio know I am an agent?

It's was as if like they were prepared for us to arrive.

I let out a sigh and walk quickly towards chief's office. I hear a small thudding sound. My eyes narrow instinctively.

"Did you hear that?" I ask Ed looking sceptically around the empty corridor.

"Hear what?"

I guess I am being paranoid. I shake my head. "Nothing. Let's go. Chief's waiting."

I open the door to see him sorting the papers. On hearing the door open, he looks up and beams at us.

"Thank goodness. What took you so long?" Chief walks towards us and engulfing me in a hug.

"Emma claims to know how to hot wire the car but she doesn't. That's why it took us so long."

I let go of my dad and glare at Edward. "Of course I do. But it was your idea to steal the car."

"I never denied it," Ed shrugs as chief let's out a chuckle. He walks towards his table and leans against it crossing his arms.

"How did the mission go?" He asks us.
I sit on the couch across the table and place my feet on the coffee table.

"It was okay. We stopped them before they could initiate the launch," I say and rest my head and close my eyes.

"And the coordinates?" He questions Edward.

"Emma has it," Edward says. Chief turns towards me waiting for me to say anything.

I open my eyes and clear the throat, "Well, about that," I pause thinking how to say the lie. Surely Edward and dad can clearly detect the lie but I can try giving my best shot. "I lost it."

"What?" Edward and dad as in a sync.

"I lost it. While jumping off the bridge, I had it with me. But when I got off the lake, the pen drive wasn't in my pocket. Probably I lost it somewhere in the lake." I lie easily through my teeth.

I notice my dad massaging his temples before sitting on his chair. He didn't detect my lie. Proudly I turn towards Edward to see him still looking at me suspiciously.

I didn't stumble or gave away any indication of lying. Why is he being suspe- oh shoot. I didn't have the pen drive in my pocket. I had it in my locket.

Stupid me.

Though he found out that I was lying, he didn't expose me which I am thankful for.

"I hope the pen drive is drenched and destroyed," dad says slowly. I nod my head.

"So you both staying in the quarters or leaving back home?"

"Home."

We close the door and step outside. I let out a sigh. It doesn't feel right to lie to your father but I had my own reasons. Clearly, Antonio has someone who lends him the info of our agency or maybe hacked our security cameras. I can't take my chances.

"You lied to him. Why?" Ed asked. He wasn't accusing me. He sounded like he knew I had my reasons. Just as I open my mouth to answer him, I hear thudding footsteps again. I place my finger against my lip asking him to be quiet. He nods his head.

I walk slowly to the end of the corridor and turn slowly to see Meghan walking towards me. I smile at her.

"Meghan, you scared me. What are you doing here?" I stand in front of her as Ed stands beside me.

"Aunt Emma, how was your mission?" She asks me with a light smile.

I tilt my head, "How did you know?"

"Elena told me. She would be happy to see you back after a long time."

"I can't agree more. And you didn't answer my question. What are you doing here?" She slaps her forehead.

"It's Alex. He left his sketch book on chief's table. I was just going to retrieve it." I let out a chuckle. Kids these days...

"It's late and chief's busy. You can grab his book tomorrow," I suggest.

She shrugs, "Alright. I will see you around aunt Emma. Goodnight."

She waves as she leaves for her quarters. I smile and wave in return.

Edward tugs my hand as we walk towards our car. He gets on the driver seat as I buckle up beside him. I feel exhaustion talking it's toll on me as my eyes close.

"Sleep. Will wake you when we reach home," he says. I nod before I drift off.