WAFFLES OR PANCAKES?

Emma's POV:

"Now this looks like my house," I huff placing my hands on my hips. I woke up early, as usual, and cleaned up the mess. I am still offended that dad didn't send any help. I am pissed. I just came back from such a deadly mission in one piece and he doesn't even consider helping me out. Must ask for a pay raise.

I look at the clock to see it read 6.20. I woke up at six to see Elena was still deep asleep. I slowly tiptoed out of the room almost knocking the vase. Keyword, almost.

I walk up the stairs, across the corridor towards my room for a quick shower. I slowly open the door to see both Edward and Ben sprawled on the bed with Ben having his feet on his dad's face successfully restricting him from breathing. I chuckle and quickly pick up my phone to take a snap.

After ten minutes of shower I walk out with towel drying my hair to see Ben stir in his sleep. He slowly opens his eyes and takes in his surrounding. He looks at his dad who is fast asleep. A small wicked smile forms on his face.

Oh, that can't be good.

He lifts his leg up and smashes down on Ed's face, waking him up. This little cheeky munchkin. I slowly slip off, not really in the mood to deal with a bed-head grumpy toddler.

I walk down the stairs towards the kitchen. I open the cabinets thinking what to make. How nice would it be if food magically appeared. That would be too much to ask.

Just as clue, Elena walks in. "Good morning."

"Good morning my life saver. Come on in and tell me what we can make without disturbing fire alarms," I say picking her up and placing on the counter.

"I don't know, anything will be fine," She says shrugging.

"Waffles or pancakes?"

"Pancakes," She answers without giving a second thought.

"Perfect," I say and reach for baking powder, golden caster sugar, flour, and salt. I place them all on the counter.

I open the fridge in search of milk. They better have not completed the milk. I am not really energetic or willing to go grocery shopping. A smile forms on my face to see a carton of milk. I grab that and eggs.

I put them in the bowl and turn towards Elena. "Would you be a dear and whisk this, please?"

"Sure," Elena says eagerly, excited about helping me. I grab blueberries and coffee grounds to brew coffee.

"Can I ask you something?" Elena says whisking the mixture.

"Yes," I say, grabbing hold of the kettle and fill it with water before boiling it.

"Why did you choose to become an agent? I mean, it's a good job but there is a fair amount of risk in it."

I turn around and walk towards her with a light smile. Isn't she very smart and mature for her own age?

"Well, I chose to be an agent because your grandfather inspired me. This world," I pause thinking how to tell her that this world is frightful, awful and miserable but I decided to go simple on young mind,"could be better. And I try to play the role to make sure innocents are safe. It's just not agents, it's everyone who stands up for the good."

She nods her head solely focused on my words.

"For example, take your aunt. She is 911 dispatcher and saved many lives through dispatching the calls. Then your uncle, who doesn't care if it's night or morning and works 24/7 in hospital. And best of all, your dad, who is also an agent, took an oath not to give in to the circumstances."

She smiles broadly like she is proud of us. "I want to be an agent too."

I chuckle and shake my head, "I wouldn't recommend it and wait, last time I checked, you told me you want to be a doctor."

"Um, but now I realized that doctors take care and save the injured but agents make sure no one gets injured."

I chuckle. Looks like she paid way too much of attention to my words, "Technically, yes."

I add coffee grounds to the water and wait for few minutes. Elena has done a good job at whisking. I place the batter separately.

"Another question?" She says.

"Yes?"

"Aren't you afraid?" She hesitates before asking me.

I place my elbow on the counter and rest my chin against my palm. That's an interesting question.

"Afraid of what?"

"Of mission."

I shake my head. She is asking me questions that no kid of this age would even care about. I smile.

"Absolutely yes. I did. During the start. But later, I conquered my fear. They say fear is an illusion created by your own brain."

"What if something happens to you?" She question almost dreading for my answer. I give her a small smile and tap her nose twice.

"Then I can die in peace knowing that someone is breathing," Elena stiffens and I quickly add, "That's not gonna happen. So, don't worry," I say and take the batter to cook.

"Slow steps Benjamin," I hear Edward say. I see Ben and Edward in new set of identical black shirt walking downstairs. Ben looks at me and screeches happily doing a little happy dance, holding the railing for support, and tries to walk down faster. Ed walks closely behind him to make sure he doesn't miss a step or if he does, he would be quick enough to catch him before he hits the ground.

On reaching the last step, Edward lets out a sigh as the toddler ran towards me like the flash. One day he would for sure beat Usain Bolt. But for now, I would be happy if he speaks.

He stands near me and lifts his hands asking me to pick him up. I pick him up and walk towards the dining room and place him on his makeshift high chair. He giggles slapping his hands against the tray. And basically what he meant to say in a subtle manner was...bring my food right now or else deal with my cries.

"Give me a minute and your food will be here sir," I say playing along with him. He speaks gibberish in return.

I walk back to see Ed pouring coffee in our respective mugs and flips the pancake. I grab maple syrup and berries.

"Let me guess, the little one is already hungry," he says piling the pancakes orderly. I nod sheepishly.

We go to the dining room and eat our breakfast with Elena telling us about her school as we listen to her attentively. Ben on the other hand tends to forget the existence of the rest of the world when food is kept in front of him.

Everything was peaceful but suddenly we were interrupted by the buzz of the ringtone.