31. I NEED SOME TIME.

Eighteen's POV:

"WHERE IS MY SON??!!" I hear chief scream. I don't lift my head up and stay back in the same position. I vaguely hear Alex explaining chief that Ben has been taken in for surgery. I never heard chief being so worried except for once. But he composed his cool within a fraction.

I lift my head up and see him appointing teams to guard the perimeter around the hospital.

"Beta A and C will be at the entrance, Delta A and D will be at the first floor, Omega A will protect this floor, Eta A will guard rooftop and B will guard the stairs. And Agent 47 will guard Ben's room. I am pretty sure Antonio's men will try to attack again. So, we better be prepared," he orders and turns around to look at me.

We both keep staring hoping to find any emotion but all we give and get is a blank stare. I looked down, breaking the staring contest. He addresses the Gamma team A.

"Gamma A," he addresses the team as they straighten their posture with their hands behind their back.

"Chief," they address him back with respect.

"You did a good job in helping Delta B to get hold of Antonio Esposito."

"Thank you sir," Jayden responded like a sensible leader.

"Is any of your team members injured Jayden?"

"Negative sir. Everyone is alright," he replied in a serious tone.

"Fine. You can leave back to the agency."

"But Chief-"

"Dismissed," chief pronounced which left them no room but to comply. They nodded their head and left the room.

On the other side of the room, I hear Meghan crying slowly and Jen tries to console her by saying that it was Ben's choice to cover for her and it has nothing to do with Meghan.

I see through the peripheral sight chief walking towards me.

"Agent eighteen," he says slowly. I nod my head still looking at the floor.

"You did a great job. And what happened to Ben wasn't your fault," shocked by his words, I lift my head up to see him already leaving for the door without another word.

I sigh and look at the floor again. What chief said was a complete lie. How is it not my fault? It should have been me. Not him. I wanted to go solo on this mission because I know very well that it would come to this. I always get people in trouble. It was most definitely my fault.

I think of the bullet wound on his chest. The way his eyes held the fear of leaving us. His eyes were screaming and begging for me to stop the pain but all I could do was watch. My nails dig into my palm as I fist my hand. I close my eyes tightly to hold back my tears.

"It's okay to cry. It's okay to grieve. Please don't hold back in eighteen. The more you hold back, the more it hurts. Let it out. It's okay," Alex grieved beside me. I give him a blank stare. I notice that there are few stitches on the side of his head.

"It's not okay," I whisper back.

"It's okay eighteen."

"No, it's not."

"Yes it is."

I don't say anything in return. The pictures of Ben laying lifeless barely breathing, the blood and the panic floods my mind. I lean my head back on the seat with a sigh.

"It's all my fault," I mumbled.

"No, it's not. Don't you dare blame yourself. It has nothing to do with you," he hissed back.

"He trusted me Alex. I let him down. Ben...He...I... am the reason he is battling for his life now. I failed him..."  I choked and placed my head on my hands.

"Eighteen, you have to deal with the pain. It's not your fault. You did everything you could possibly do to protect all of us, to protect Ben," he said slowly hoping that I understand. I nod though I don't agree with him.

All of a sudden Ben's last words fills my head and his voice floods my mind.

We... We've been... Compromised.

What did he mean by we have been compromised? Was something leaked out of our Intel? Who could possibly get into the agency and steal our database? Or did someone spy on us? How could we have been compromised?

There's just one person who can answer my question.

I abruptly get up from my chair and leave towards the door. Alex places his hand on the handle before I could.

"Where are you going?" he questions

"Nowhere," I reply curtly.

"Eighteen..." he presses again.

"I need some time," I reply and push his hand off and leave the waiting room without another glance. I spin my head left and right in search of him. I walk few minutes and reach the med bay where Ben is admitted. I see him talk to the doctor. I walk towards him and hear...

"He will be fine sir. The bullet missed the heart and aorta so he is out of danger for now. He is still sleeping due to the anesthetics. It might take time to wear off but he is fine," I sigh in relief and so does chief.

The doctor leaves as chief turns around to see me standing few feet away from him. He stands quietly waiting for me to say something.

"Where is Antonio?" I asked gruffly.