SPOKE TOO SOON

Emma's POV:

"Yes sir," Edward says into the phone. I watch as he sighs and runs his hand through his hair. He places the fork down muttering a small 'excuse me' as he left the dining room.

Something's wrong.

I put my fork down as well to follow him. Just as I was about to get up, I get hit on my face with food. I turn towards Ben to see him smile cheekily.

"What is it?" I ask matching his smile. He lifts his hand up offering a small crumbled piece of pancake.

Holy moly.That's rare. Ben's offering food.

"You want me to have it?" I ask. He nods his head enthusiastically.

"Use your words young man," I say hoping to hear him speak. He screeches loudly almost making my ears bleed.

"Okay okay. Take your time." I say and as I was about to get the pancake from him, he pops it inside his mouth.

Spoke too soon.

He smiles giddily as I ruffle his hair. Just as I push my chair back to get up, Ed walks back in. He takes his seat and continues to eat. He looks distressed. He lifts his head and catches my eye. I raise my eyebrow asking him what's wrong. He looks at Elena and Ben and shakes his head.

Not in front of the children.

I nod my head, understanding what he meant.

We continued to eat and come to a sudden pause when the clank of water bottle hitting the ground resonated around the room.

There you go again.

Ben has a very interesting way of telling us that he is done with food... by throwing the cutlery and bottle on the ground. He brings his plate towards the edge of his tray. He smirks before pushing it off the edge.

Ed's reflexive skills kicked in as he caught the plate before it hits the ground. I sigh.

I plan on glaring at Ben and turn towards him. He wore an innocent smile. Instead of glaring I end up smiling at him. I mean, who can get angry at Benjamin?

Soon after breakfast, I ask the kids to play in the backyard. "Make sure he doesn't eat mud or grass or grasshopper, alright? And don't let him in near the pool either and-"

"I know mom. I will take care of this troublemaker," Elena says grabbing hold of his hand. I smile and motion towards the backyard. She tugs his hand and he follows her happily.

I sigh and walk upstairs where Edward went soon after the breakfast. I see him talking in the phone again.

"Yes sir," He says nodding to himself. "What about the director of FBI?" he asks and turns around to see me standing near the door. He nods again. I walk towards the bed and take a seat.

After two minutes, he cuts the call with a sigh. He places himself beside me with a tired look.

"Was it dad again?" He nods his head in return. "What did he say?" I ask.

"The gang has gone insane," he pauses and lets out a heavy sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose, "They are attacking the civilians. They are sending suicide bombers and there was a total chaos this morning in the park."

I knew this would happen. The gang will for sure let their anger out on innocents. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath to calm my nerves.

"How many are dead?"

"Five."

My shoulders hunch. This wasn't supposed to happen. This isn't right. Everything is going downhill. Why are they killing the civilians? If they want the coordinates, aren't they supposed to attack the agency? What are they planning? Is this some kind of a distraction? If so, for what?

There are so many unanswered questions which I need to find the answers for.

"We should go help them." I say.

"I asked him about it. He said we need to lay low. He also said the director of FBI is ready to lend a hand."

"That's nice of him." I say slowly, almost mumbling to myself as my thoughts are momentarily preoccupied by those five members who got killed.

"Everything will be alright," Ed says taking hold of my hand.

"Hopefully."