FIRST WORDS

Edward's POV:

As soon as I start the engine and hit the road, I realise something is wrong. Just like the way Emma said. She looked conflicted when I left. She clearly didn't want me to leave and neither do I. I take a deep breath and let it out hopping the unsettled feeling in my chest rids off.

Within half an hour of drive, I hear my phone chime. I turn around to the passenger seat to check who it is.

Emma.

My eyebrows kit together in confusion. Why is she calling me? I don't think twice and pick the call, steering the wheel with one hand.

"Emma?" I say. I hear her sigh in relief.

"Edward, get back home right now," I hear her say, her confident and calm voice replaced with terror and panic.

"What do you mean?" my voice clearly depicting how confused I am. Before she could reply, I hear a earth shaking blast. My eyes widen as I kick the breaks stop.

"Emma? Emma!! What was that?" I scream, my chest heaving for each breath.

"They are here. They are attacking our home," She sounds scared, for the first time. I promptly swirl the car, back towards my home. My knuckles almost turning white as I held the steering.

"Get out of the house," I say as I race down the lane dogging the cars, speed limit long forgotten. She mutters a small yes.

I hear her speak something to Elena, soon followed by gunshots. I should have stayed back. Emma is dealing with them all alone. I increased the speed, ignoring the honking cars behind me. Suddenly I hear another blast which made my heart drop.

"Emma? What's happening?"

"They have set detonators. I am trying to leave the house but there are too many of them."

"Just hang on, I am almost there," I am clearing fifteen minutes afar. I just hope they get out of the house.

"Please hurry," she says, her voice on edge. My heart pounds against my rib cage when I hear another blast. I quickly tap the screen in my car to call chief.

"Edward?"

"Sir, send agents to our home. The gangsters are attacking and Emma is alone with kids," I say. Chief's acts immediately barking orders to the agents. I cut the call.

I try hearing to Emma as she spoke to someone but I couldn't decipher as the sound of falling debris is all I could hear. Suddenly the sound shuts off. It's silent. I can neither hear her nor the crashing sound. All I could hear is my heartbeat thumping faster. I call out her name but she doesn't respond.

As I reach our home, I quickly unbuckle my seatbelt and jump out of the car, not bothering to close the door behind me. I turn around only to pause on my tracks. The house is burning as it emitted smoke filling the already dark sky with more darkness.

I call out Emma but she doesn't respond. I run towards the front door to see it shattered as the orange flames consumed the house.

I run around the perimeter of the house praying and hoping they made it out of here, still clutching the phone against my ear.

I scream for Emma. Why ain't she replying? Worry sets in me as the world around me felt like it was falling apart.

As if like the heaven above decided to ease my pain, I hear Emma's voice. A feeble sob eluded her lips. I go static when I hear those three words soon followed by another deafening sound that made me stumble.

Several SUVs park near my house but right now my mind is occupied about the safety of my family.

Just as I round the corner towards my backyard, I see Elena and Ben. I sigh. I feel the pain alleviate as I run towards them. They are fine. They are safe. But where's Emma?

As soon as I get close to them, I get on my knees and enfold them tightly. I sigh in relief.

I let go of them as I scan their face. Worry sets in me when I look at Elena. Not because she is covered in dust and smoke, it's because she stood static looking at our burning house.

"Hey, are you alright? Are you hurt?" I ask, dreading for her answer. But all I get is silence as her eyes stays fixed on our house.

"Where's mommy?" I ask looking around.

Silence.

"Elena say something," I plead shaking her shoulders.

Silence.

"Elena please, wh-"

"Mama."

My heart skips a beat. I go static when I hear him pronounce the word Emma longed for. I slowly turn towards him. Fresh tears running down his cheeks as he lifted his hand before fisting and relaxing. The action he always does when he calls for someone. He looks at me before turning towards our house repeating the process. My eyes widen as realisation sank in.

No. This can't happen. Not Emma.

My legs automatically rushes towards the blazing flames. I can't lose her. My brain doesn't register the imminent death I can possibly have if I run into the fire. I don't care. I have to save her.

"Edward, what are you doing?" Someone says, stopping me from running in. I try to push him away.

"Let go of me! She is still in there," I say and punch the agent who was stopping me. I run again. When I am close enough to the house, there was another blast which made me fly in the air before hitting the trunk of the tree.

My head pounds as I hit the ground. I wince and slowly open my eyes. I see Emma hover over me with a light smile. I try to reach for her but she disintegrates. Vanishes in thin air. I try calling her name, but I couldn't as my throat felt like a parched paper. Black dots invades my vision.The last thing I remember is one sparkling star brightening the dark sky.

***
The worst way to wake up is with a pounding headache and to hear continuous beep of the monitor. I open my eyes and take in my surrounding.

Hospital.

I've been here many times but today I feel restless. I quickly get up and pull out the IVs.

"What are you doing? You're in no condition to walk," Greg pushes me back on the bed.

"Where is she?"

He doesn't say anything as he gave me a pitiful look which I hate the most. I push past him and walk towards the door only to pause when the door opens on its own.

Chief walks in. His once proud stance and bold aura is replaced with hunched shoulders and weary look. He is barely recognizable.

His bloodshot eyes meet mine as he motions for me to follow him. I do without a word. We walked across the corridor in complete silence as the clomp of his boots reverberated across the corridor. He pauses in front of a ward.

"She did not make it," chief whispered. It was barely audible but I catch on to his words. I stood still, barely moving.

"You're lying," I say. I know chief is definitely not a liar but I refuse to accept his words.

"I really wish I was lying," he says, the strength he possessed long gone. He walked away as my world started falling apart.

I push open the door. I walk in slowly to see her lying on the bed. Calm but lifeless. The monitors were unplugged. I sit beside her slowly hoping not to disturb her. The heaviness in my chest kept increasing. I notice her left side of neck and arm is burnt but she still held a smile.

I reach for her hand and squeeze it once. I wait for her to reciprocate but she didn't. That's when I realise she is gone. The strength inside me disappears in a flick as a sob racked my body.

I don't know how long I stayed there. Someone opens the door and steps in. I don't turn around. Chief said something but I couldn't concentrate. It was as if like I was under water as thoughts entangled my mind.

She died alone.

And she never got to hear Ben's first words.