4. OH....THIS SHOULD BE FUN.

Agent Twenty-two's POV:

I decided to wait by the corridor of the chief's office. If he asked her to meet him in the middle of the night then something is up for sure. I check my wristwatch to see it's 3.20. I had noticed eighteen being uncharacteristically quiet. She tried to put on a good façade and acts like she is completely normal but her eyes say otherwise.

When I ask her why she was so worried, she just brushes me off. But later on with more persistence from my side, she told me that the chief is asking her to go on the mission. I know she is scared. Not of the mission but the possibility of failure which I won't let happen at any cost. She had been training her whole life for this particular mission and I will be by her side the whole time. A promise which I made to myself and her a long time ago.

I wait for a little more time and check my wristwatch again to see it's 3.24. What in the world? They say time runs fast and to all those people I would like to let you know, time never runs fast while you wait for it to run fast. I couldn't hear the conversation of chief and eighteen due to, of course, the soundproof walls. I tap my fingers on the wall I am leaning against and snap my fingers. I keep repeating the process until I hear footsteps approaching me.

I place my hand on the knife placed in my belt and I swiftly turn around to see a familiar face. I smile at him. He opens his mouth to lecture me about standing outside the chief office without his permission is against the protocols but I beat him.

"You know, it's been so long since we spoke..." I look at my wristwatch and continue, "10 minutes 46 seconds to be exact and-" he cuts me off before I complete the sentence.

"What are you doing here? I thought you said you're leaving to your room," agent forty-seven questions me.

"I never said so. I am just waiting for her," I say looking back at the chief's office. I hear him sigh.

"Maybe it might take a while. Chief is appointing her on a big mission and there might be a little bit of bickering between them."

"A little bit?" I raise my eyebrow.

"Fine. Maybe more. But chief will eventually cool down and I think you know how to calm eighteen down," He says with a light smile. I nod my head.

Eighteen is, in fact, a little complex and closed-off person. Makes sure to push people away with a glare so she doesn't have to deal with human species. Maybe she lost the hope which is still inside her but she purposely doesn't wanna recognize it. It literally took me years to become a trustworthy person in her life. And I wanna make sure she returns the way she was before.

I want her to be lively again.

"Look Alex," I snap out of my trance when I hear his voice, "The mission is extremely dangerous and I want you to make sure to protect yourself and your team. Your training will be tested in this mission. Make sure to remember everything I taught you," He takes a deep breath and lets it out and continues while I stare at him with a serious face. "And promise me that you will be back in one piece. I can't lose you. And do take care of her,"

"I promise, dad," I say with a determined tone.

He smiles at my determination. "Anyway, my legs are killing me. You stay here and wait for Eighteen. I'll meet you at the heliport."

"Heliport?" I ask with a confused face.

"You'll know...Later, son," he waves as he departures.

"Later, dad," I mutter slowly still trying to process the heliport thing. He even said that we are going on a mission which Eighteen has been worried sick about. I waited for a little more time and decided to stroll around the corridor murmuring about how long is it gonna take for them to complete their oh-so-very-important meeting. After a few more minutes, I hear the familiar click of the door and a thud resonating across the empty corridor. I turn around to see Eighteen facing her back to me with her hands on her hips.

Oh boy! She is angry.

I start walking towards her but pause when she went inside the room again. What? They just completed the meet and now she is going back in now? I let out a huff and rub my eyes. A yawn tries to escape my mouth but I suppress it. But it still had its way. I place my hand to cover my mouth.

I haven't slept for a few days now just to give Eighteen company. She denied it at first but later reluctantly agreed. She hasn't been sleeping either. Hopefully, it's just because of the stress of the mission and nothing else which could possibly be worse.

I place my hand back down and see her close the door slowly. She had a folder in her hand. Oh, she went back to retrieve it.

She still had her back to me as I walked toward her. On hearing my footsteps, she suddenly turns around with her gun pointed toward me. I smile and lean casually against the wall as I wait for her next move.

"Who are you?" she asks threateningly. I control my grin as I walk forward.

"I am not sure if I should be concerned or offended," I reply. I stand in front of her se she places her gun back in its place.

"But if you want to hear my name again, who am I to stop? I am Alex. Now, may I get your name in return?" I outstretch my hand for a shake.

"What are you doing here?" she asks me calmly this time, swatting my hand instead of a shake.

"Eavesdropping," I say in a casual tone with a shrug.

"Eavesdropping when you know that these walls are soundproof," she raises her eyebrow.

"Did I say eavesdropping? I said I was waiting," I lied to ease the situation.

"Liar," she replies and passes the folder into my hands. I look at the folder and then back at her to see her having a troubled expression.

"What happened in there?" I couldn't help but ask though I know what she is about to say. I just want a confirmation.

She took a deep breath and let it out. "We are going on the mission."

"When are we leaving?" I ask with a serious tone and I can feel what is coming.

"Now," she responds and runs her hand through her hair in frustration. "Let's go wake the team up."

"Oh, this should be fun," I say to lighten up the mood.

She shakes her head, "Maybe for you. But it's going to be a lot of difficulty for me. The mission might be easy but waking up Ben would be a lot harder."