8. DELTA B.

Agent Eighteen's POV:

After locking the door, we pass through a set of dorms where other agents reside. Each block has its own specific name. Our block is named Delta and there are several other blocks. Agency, when compared to the past few years, has grown so well that it is one of the most trusted peace-maintaining organisations.

The lights are dim, the hallways are quiet just like before. We pass through a set of bulletproof glass doors towards the elevator.

Ben hastened his steps towards the elevator and quickly clicked the rooftop button. He barely does any training and makes excuses all the time but when it comes to being wacky, he would run a mile.

The elevator door begins to close before any of us could enter. He smiles mischievously and waves his hand at us.

Meghan immediately placed her foot, stopping the doors successfully. She gives him a bored look.

"Seriously?" she asks with a raised eyebrow. Meghan can be really sweet and calm but when you get on her nerves, you can see the other side of her. But it's nothing when compared to mine though.

"I was just checking on your speed and reflexes," he shrugs.

Sure Ben, sure.

We all get inside the elevator and the doors close. We calmly wait for the elevator to reach the rooftop. Meghan was scrolling through her phone. Alex stood beside me giving a weird look to his left. I hunch a little to see what he is looking at. I see both Ben and Liam make funny, more like idiotic faces to the camera. I roll my eyes.

I got a deadly mission on one hand and a bunch of idiots on the other. And our dear chief thinks it's a good idea to carry this bunch of imbeciles with me. Just fantastic!

After painful two minutes, we finally reach the rooftop. The sun hasn't risen yet as the chill air speeds past us as we walked towards the chief. Forty-seven and Jennifer were right beside him, waiting for us.

I and my team stood in a straight file. I was standing in the centre with Meghan, Liam and Jennifer on my right, Ben and Alex to my left. We stood with our hands locked behind our back and heads held high except for Ben. He was busy biting his nails. And the chief deliberately ignored it.

"Delta B," Chief referred to us with an authoritative tone. His previous tiredness is long gone which is now replaced with a sharp look.

"Yes chief," we all chorus together.

How I want to fight back and frustrate him... But it won't do any good so I keep quiet.

"As your leader would have already informed you, you are leaving for an important mission. A mission that would determine your life or death. The target, his connections and other important details will be explained by your leader. You will leave now to our other headquarters in Atlanta and gather the necessary weapons you need. Later, you will leave in search of the target. Am I clear?"

"Affirmative sir," we all chorus again except for Ben. He raises his hand as a sincere student does in school to ask his doubt. Chief meets Ben's confused face and states.

"You can direct your question Agent seventy-eight. You don't have to raise your hand," he immediately puts his hand back on his side.

"How long is the helicopter ride?"

"One-hour twenty-eight minutes. Is that all?" He nods his head.

"How did he answer so fast? I thought he would be dumb-struck," Ben whispers to Alex.

"It's because you asked him the same question during the last mission and after all, he is the chief. What else you can expect from him," Alex whispers back.

"Oh... Okay. How about I ask him the time of the flight then divide it by three and add it by twenty and then I ask him to find the logarithm of it? He won't know math well, would he?" Ben grins widely as if he solved the unknown mystery of the Bermuda triangle.

Only you Ben, only you.

Alex gives him a look that says 'what did you just say'. As he opens his mouth to ask him if he is mentally sick again, chief beats him.

"Agent seventy-eight," chief's loud voice makes Ben and Alex go static. Chief better knock some sense into Ben.

Ben looks at chief then at Alex as he repeats the process twice. Come on Ben. Stop being so dramatic. It's not like chief is gonna kill you. He turns towards chief again and points towards himself, his actions asking if chief actually called him. Chief nods his head once.

"Did he hear what I just said," Ben whispers to Alex timidly. Alex shrugs in return.

He takes a timid step towards chief, all while chewing his nails. Chief gives him a disapproving look at chewing his hand which made Ben immediately pull his hand away.

"Ben, you know this mission is dangerous," chief says.

"Yeah, I do," Ben nods his head, but his concentration is on Jennifer who jumps inside the pilot seat and clicks a few buttons, checking everything.

He is probably jealous thinking how she gets to play more video games than him.

Chief clicks his fingers in front of him to get his attention. Ben's eyes immediately turn towards chief.

"Stay sharp and don't pull pranks on others. Try being serious for once," Chief says.

"Of course," He says and notices Liam walking towards the chopper. He pushes his leg out to trip him and he does. Liam glares at Ben before boarding the chopper as chief gives him disapproving look.

"I think you should get on the chopper," he says patting Ben's shoulder, knowing too well that getting Ben to stop pranking is like trying to measure the universe.

"Yeah, buh-bye," Ben merrily jumps inside the chopper.

Alex and Meghan bid their goodbyes to agent forty-seven. Meghan sits beside Ben as Alex moves to take the co-pilot seat.

I reluctantly walk towards chief. Should I talk to him or just walk past him towards the chopper? Before I could decide, our eyes meet as my legs automatically moves towards him.

We stand in front of each other, quietly. I plan on stepping aside and walking towards the chopper but stop when I hear him speak.

"Be careful," he says, with genuine concern. I nod my head. I don't know what to say to him so I decided to move toward the chopper.

I hop in and shut the door. Alex and Jen roar the engine. I take a final glance at chief to see he was already staring at me. We don't break our staring contest as the chopper flies up in the sky and all I can see is nothing but tiny people.