24. GOOD NIGHT, LITTLE ONE.

Unknown POV:

~Twenty years ago~

I dry the last dish and wipe my hands on the towel. I turn towards the clock to see it was past twelve. You never know how time flies while being back home to have a simple break. A yawn escapes my mouth as I head upstairs to have a nap. I stop on my track when I hear my doorbell ring.

That's weird.

Why would I have guest at middle of the night unless...? I slowly reach to the cabinet and grab my gun. I take slow steady steps towards the door. I unlock the door with my gun in hand held tight.

The door is wide open but there was not even a single soul. My forehead creases in confusion as I hear a small weeping voice. I look down to see two kids, one about six years and other a lot younger.

I quickly put the gun away and got on knee to meet the kid's eyes.

"Hi," I say slowly with a light smile not to scare the kids away.

The older one, who had tears streaming down the face, holds the younger one's hand tighter.

"Umm... Where are your parents? Did you get lost?" I ask still wondering what these kids are doing at my door steps.

The older whimpers while the younger one looks around chewing the little fingers. The younger one notices the older crying still slightly dazed about the surrounding, removes the fingers and wraps it around the older one as a comforting hug.

"Uh... Don't cry please. I can help you find your parents," I say and notice a small paper in the elder one's hand. I slowly reach for the paper and open it to see a letter. I read the letter again and again hoping that my eyes are deceiving. I look back at the kids who have confusion, worry and sadness written over their face.

I smile reassuringly and took hold of their hands and bring them in. They sit on the couch still holding hands.

"I'll get something for you to eat," I say and walk towards the kitchen. Within ten minutes or so, I made grilled cheese sandwich and placed it in front of the kids. The younger one gleams with happiness and turns towards the older one for permission. The elder one nods in approval. The next minute, the kids were devouring the food. The younger happily bouncing while the elder one chews quietly. Within few minutes, the plates are empty.

"Do you want some water?" I ask as they both nod in unison. I quickly fetch some.

We had conversation for a little while like what are their names, do they remember their parents, where did they live, their hobbies, favorite cartoons etc. They answered an only few of them. I notice the younger one dozing off. I quickly pick the younger one and grab hold of elder one's hand and walked up the stairs. I get to the guest room and place them on the bed. The younger one drifts off the next second but the elder is still wide awake. Maybe it's because the elder one is old enough to understand what is happening.

"Get some sleep. Everything will be fine," I whisper slowly as I get a nod in return. Just as I was about to leave I heard a small voice speak to me.

"Good night, dad," I stop on my tracks. I turn around with a small smile.

"Good night, little one," I say and head downstairs.

I sit and lean my head on the back of the couch with a smile but it suddenly vanishes as I think of the letter.

Who could be so heartless enough to abandon these innocent kids?