Chapter 36 Picnic

The girls have spent the last two days catching up and preparing for Lucy's big day. It was true, wherever they go, they would see a black sedan following them around. The girls are still not used to it, but for their friend and her daughter, they've pretty much ignored its existence. Right now the girls are heading to the park. Rosie wanted to have a picnic and who are they to deny a child what she wants. They are driving in two separate cars since the 8 of them can't fit in Lucy's SUV. Sasha, Rosie, and Janel are together, while the others are in the SUV.

"I'm so happy to spend time with you and Rosie. It's been a while since the three of us spent time together," Janel said smiling at the two.

"Who's been busy? Right, Rosie? Mommy Janel never has time for us anymore," Sasha said encouraging her daughter to say the same.

"Yes. Mommy Janel doesn't have time for me anymore," Rosie said.

"Using your daughter to put a guilt trip on me, that's real nice, Sash," Janel said.

"Well, it's true. Ever since you know what, you have been so busy at Hotchkiss Technology. I hardly see you anymore," Sasha said matter of factly.

"It's just been 6 months babe, and you know why I'm doing all this work. It's for you and Rosie, remember?"

"I know. It's just that when we were in protective custody we spent every second together. I kinda miss that. Plus Rosie really misses you."

"Using your daughter again, are we? Just admit it, you're crazy about me," Janel teased.

"My daughter can hear you, keep the naughty humor to yourself," Sasha said.

Janel can't help but smile. She certainly did miss this duo. She has been really busy the last few months, but she's doing all of that for Sasha and little Rosie. Her team in Hotchkiss Technology is creating a program that will reveal if a person is lying or not based on the pattern of their voice. The goal is to use this program for the trial and she has not completed the final alterations on the algorithm yet. The trial is next month, and they are running out of time.

Sasha noticed the sudden change of mood in her girlfriend. She reached out her hand and caressed the brunette's cheek.

"Hey, I was just joking."

"I know. It's not that."

"Then, what's wrong? Your mood changed."

Janel let out a sigh before speaking.

"The trial will start in a few short weeks and I'm not close to finishing the code revisions. I want to finish it before the trial starts. We need to have enough time to test the program, I have to make sure that there's no glitch, no errors. I can't make a mistake. I just can't. "

"And you won't. I know you won't. You're one of the best in your field babe, and you've got a great team. You won't fail."

"But what if I will? What if he gets away? What if he harms you and Rosie?

I don't know what I'll do if that happens, especially knowing that I could have done something to prevent it."

"Hey. Will you stop that? Stop doubting yourself," Sasha said a little too loud, making her daughter glance up at the women.

"Mama? Why are you shouting at mommy?" Rosie asked innocently.

Sasha looked at her daughter who stopped playing with her dolls at the back seat.

"Oh no, hun. I'm not shouting. I'm just trying to cheer on your mommy Janel because she is feeling a little sad," Sasha explained to her daughter.