Chapter 26 Unexpected

The drive dragged on for hours and the other girls are starting to notice the silence shared between their favorite couple.

"Are they okay?" Lucy finally asked the other girls as they stopped at a gas station. Shay is in the restroom, while Sasha is buying something at the station's convenience store.

"I don't know, they're awfully quiet," Troian said.

"Did they get into a fight while we're sleeping?" Lucy added.

"I don't think so. We would have heard it," Ashley said. She knows something is going on, and she can't tell the other girls yet. It's not her place to tell them about it.

"Should we ask them?" Lucy said.

"I think, we should leave them. They'll tell us if they need our help. Maybe they're just tired," Troian answered.

As she said this, both girls are on their way back and are still not uttering a word to each other.

"Troi? Can you take over for me? I'm a bit sleepy," Shay asked.

"Sure thing. We're almost there anyway. You've been driving since we left New Jersey, go on and take a nap," Troian replied.

Shay is really not sleepy, she's just exhausted from thinking and she wants to clear her head. They're almost at the apartment which Lucy and Ashley will share in New York and she's running out of time.

"Thanks!" Shay simply replied.

Sasha is looking at her girlfriend, they haven't said a word to each other since she asked what's wrong. She wants to reach out for her and just hold her tight. However, her rational brain is telling her no, screaming at her to keep her distance, at least until Shay tells her everything.

The girls settled back in the car and they continued their drive. Troian is now behind the wheel, Lucy sitting beside her. Ashley is stuck behind, sitting between the couple, who made it clear that they have no intention of talking to each other. The drive was awfully quiet and Ashley is starting to feel uneasy. She glanced towards Shay trying to make her talk, but Shay seemed to be in a far off place. She was just staring blankly outside the window. Ashley decided to let it go and just try Sasha. When she turned her head towards the blonde, the girl was sleeping with her head resting on the window.

"This is hopeless!" Ashley thought to herself. She softly nudged Shay's leg but, the other girl didn't notice and was just fixated outside.

"Are you okay?" Ashley whispered to Shay, making sure she won't wake the sleeping blonde beside her.

Shay seemed to have woken up from her trance and slowly turned her head towards her friend and simply nodded.

"Do you want to talk?" Ashley asked.

Again, Shay chose to stay silent and just shook her head as if to say no. She's exhausted, her mind is exhausted. How did she end up in this mess? Well, she knows that part, what she doesn't know is how to get out of it.

The drive was as silent as it can get until they have reached Ashley's and Lucy's apartment. The apartment building is 20 stories high and very well maintained. There's a security upfront and the parking space has convenient access. They drove in and the guard at the front gate, checked Lucy's credentials. When everything was settled they were allowed in and were given a designated parking slot number.

Sasha has woken up as they have parked the car. She needed that nap to clear her head. Shay has not spoken to her since they had that "talk" and she can't shake the idea that something is probably wrong between them. The girls started to get out of the car, and Sasha is still debating with herself. Her mind is thinking whether or not she should start a conversation with her girlfriend, she doesn't want things to get awkward between them and the girls. She was about to approach Shay when she heard someone calling her name...