Chapter 81:- Come Back Alive

"Breathe in... and now out,"

"I know it!" Grace snapped, "this is the hundredth time you're doing this."

Delia sighed, she gave an apologetic nod to the doctor who then quietly took the readings and left.

Grace cursed beneath her breath as she sank back on her bed. "So..." she looked towards the brunette, "what's the diagnosis?"

"I'm not that type of doctor," she sat down next to her, "you're going to have to ask the Doctor you just shooed away."

Grace narrowed down her eyes on her friend, "You went to medical school."

"For three years,"

"Oh come on, you wouldn't leave anything in the middle, I'm sure you must've snuck into other classes and then dropped out."

The brunette looked down in embarrassment. Of course, Grace was correct, she always was. When she was in the middle of her fourth and final year, there had been a massive explosion on the coast of Kanto. There had been a shortage of medical professionals so Delia and a few others had volunteered.

She'd seen more death that day than in the entirety of her career in the Chamber as a field agent.

Delia never finished her fourth year, she dropped out after her seniors sent her in to tell people that their loved ones were no longer alive.

The situation with Grace sent her back to that gloomy dad that made her quit medicine.

"Come on," said Grace, "it can't be that bad, right? I mean I was getting better a few days back, I even judo-flipped Charlus!"'

"It's a little bad," she lied, "but don't worry, I'm working hard on coming with a cure! And so are our other doctors!"

Grace sighed, "So the gene theory didn't work?"

"Therapy," she corrected, "well, it's been only a month, I'm sure we'll get results... soon."

The ebony-haired smiled, "I'm sure you will."

"Have you told Serena yet?"

She shook her head, "She already has a lot going on... with the mission and your son and her new brother and father... it's just that I'm the only constant in her life, I'd like to keep it that way."

"Of course," Delia squeezed her hand, "even if you die, she has a new parent so it won't be as hard—"

Before she could've anticipated it, a pillow came flying towards her. A laugh escaped Grace's lips as she kept on hitting her best friend until she fell on the floor.

"I was kidding," Delia laughed, "it's just that Charlus is kinda adorable as a dorky dad!"

"Oh, you're so dead!"

The room was filled with laughter. As she hit her friend with her pillow once again, Grace couldn't help but smile at the little picture on her nightstand, the one Ash had taken a few days after Serena found out.

Grace was sitting on the bed right next to Charlus, beneath them were Serena and Gary, who was holding a picture of his mother, Bethany. Gary sat directly beneath Grace, away from his father.