Chapter 4:-The Potato Farmer

"A friend?" Gary questioned, "more like a boyfriend."

"Shut it, " Serena snapped again, "He wasn't my boyfriend."

"He was a boy!" Gary rejoiced out loud which led to the brunette sitting beside Serena to glare at them with a scornful look. Serena mouthed an apology and turned back to Gary.

"In case you didnt notice, there are other people on his plane."

"Can't help it, " Gary sighed while talking out his phone, "I yell whenever I'm nervous."

She scoffed and went back to play scrabble on her phone.

However, that didn't stop her from parking her eyes on Gary's phone. Serena's heart began to pounder when she looked at his wallpaper. It showed two boys, one with brown spiky hair, the younger version of Gary, his arm was stretched forward and his fingers were enclosed outside a Pokeball. His wide grin showed his little crooked teeth and his eyes were squeezed shut. He was covered in mud like he just took a bath in the nearby swamp.

Besides him was another boy, raven-haired, he was in the same position as the young Gary, the Pokeball in his hand touched with the Pokeball in Gary's hand. Like Gary, his eyes were squeezed shut, in place of his canine, there was a gap. He looked unrecognizable, but Serena could recognize the little sparks on his cheeks anywhere.

"Stop staring at it, I was young," Gary mumbled while swiping through a load of apps.

"I wasn't staring!" She answered back quickly.

Gary smiled at his wallpaper and said, "I'm a Pokemon researcher. A sharp eye is an inborn quality. It's okay if you were, no one blames you for being curious. This is my best friend, Ash Ketchum. He's a big shot now, but still the same loser inside. He was the one I was talking about, he's your big fan, what was your friend's name? There were only four trainers from pallet, I might know him."

Serena's heart began to race. To her, Love was her long-forgotten friend. But looking back, maybe there weren't always the best of friends. To her younger self, The name of Ash Ketchum was enough to make her cheeks go all red and blotchy.

Now, it was just enough to make her heartache.

He listened to her songs... Maybe if he wasn't such a dense human he could also figure out who they were meant for. They weren't just lyrics thrown together, to her, they were fragments of memories that she had suffered with long before she could sing them out.

She didn't like being laughed at, after all, nobody did. A laugh was exactly what she was gonna get if she told a stranger like Gary, something so secretive that no one managed to decipher. She was familiar with stupidity in the early stages of her life. Just like love, it was her long-forgotten friend.

"I don't, " she replied, "The name of the guy I was talking about was Muriel."

"Muriel? There wasn't a trainer named Muriel in the whole Kanto!"

"I didn't say he was a trainer!" Serena retorted, "He was a... a potato farmer!"

Gary stared at her for a minute before bursting into a laugh "Yeah sure, " he agreed historically, "let's go with that."

Gary leaned back in his seat with his eyes closed, "Potato farmer" he mumbled under his breath, followed by a laugh. Serena groaned and hit his head hard with a poké-time magazine.

Serena left the plane in a hurry, she put on a white mask over her face, wore her sunglasses and sunhat along with her jacket (even though she knew that it'll be buying out) and her backpack. She left before Gary could say another word.