Professor Oak

"Drat," cursed Samuel Oak, "now I have to start all over again!"

Life without Tracey was tough, Oak had tried hiring some grad students from the university of Celadon university but after taking a glance at Ash's Greninja, they'd run away. It had been atleast six months since he'd met Ash, Sam didn't blame Greninja for his homicidal tendencies.

He blamed the wussy grads from the university.

This was one of the rare afternoons when everything was peace and quite in Pallet town. Bulbasaur was good at keeping the Pokemon's on their toe. Samuel was sipping his margarita on a lawn chair in his backyard which overlooked the sunset. He couldn't remember the last time he'd had this peace and quite.

He sighed as he wiped the spilled margarita off his haiku notepad. "I can't even see," he tore off the paper and started afresh.

Samuel stayed out until darkness enveloped the town. By the time he was finished, stars were shimmering in the sky and there was chilliness in the atmosphere.

Winters were setting in, today was the beginning.

He took out a small quilt from his bag, it was tattered and in extremely poor condition. He walked a little into the forest passing by various Pokémon who were getting ready for the night.

He walked until the end of the forest stopping at the cliff which overlooked the pond. He bent down and carefully placed the quilt over the stone headstone.

"Sleep tight buddy," he smiled painfully as he went back inside.

The headstone had an electric bolt right across the slab. A single name engraved on it: James Red Raider.

By the time he reached inside, it was the dead of the night. In old age, even sitting around and doing nothing was tiresome. He was getting ready to go up to his living room when his computer buzzed.

Must be Gary, he thought, yeah it must be Gary.

Talking with his prized pupils, Gary Oak and Ash Ketchum was the only thing he missed more than having Tracey around. He hadn't seen the two of them since they were called into the Academy of Chamber of Xovier.

He didn't blame them, he too was once called in when he was a little younger than Gary. He'd hated the training and the things that followed after. It had been a relief when he was finally exempted. But it came with its own perks, he never saw his wife again.

The thought of Ailsa Oak brought back those locked away memories. Those bittersweet memories.

"Gary!" He exclaimed as soon as he accepted the call but to his surprise, it wasn't Gary that stood in front of him, it was Delia.

Delia was wearing a white coat and her hair was tied back in a cap. She had a pleasant smile on her face.

"Professor Oak," she said, "it's been a while."

Oak was slightly disappointed but smiled either way. "Delia... it's... it's a pleasant surprise."

Delia sighed, "Gary is alright, Professor."

"I didn't ask."

"But you wanted to."

He half smiled and looked down. "How are you... how's Ash and... well, you?"

He wanted to say Charlus but withheld his voice.

Delia smiled as if she knew what he meant to say. "I'm alright and so is Ash, he was in an accident but recovered quickly."

"Accident?" He was worried, his thoughts immediately traveled to Charlus, "Ash is okay, isn't he?"

Delia nodded. "Charlus is okay too, Professor."

"I... I didn't ask."

"But you meant to," she said with a smile.

Oak sighed, no matter how good he was at hiding his feelings, he was still an amateur in front of his oldest pupil, Diane Kets or Delia Ketchum. She was always able to see straight through him even when she was a child.

"Yeah I meant to," he shook his head in dismay, "what the matter? You called at this hour."

Delia looked uncomfortable. "I need your help," her voice was desperate, "it's... it's the m-unowns."

His eyes immediately lit up. "You... you found the m-unowns? In flesh?"

He'd spent many nights listening to Delia's worries when she was a grad student. She was worried about her paper on the mutated strain of unowns. Samuel himself had found it very fascinating, it was innovating and insightful. The only problem was that it was theoretical.

If what Delia was saying was intact true... it was going to be revolutionary.

"Not per se," Delia sighed, "Spencer and I went in search of them, it was difficult but..."

"You found them?"

She shook her head, "We found a stelae."

"A stelae? Were the reading false?"

She shook her head. Samuel Oak could easily read the hesitation in her voice.

"It's in the stelae," he concluded.

She nodded. "Spencer is out there searching for more... I'm alone in the lab running tests and stimulations and..." she bit her lips.

"You want me to help you," he quickly added, "Delia—"

"Professor please!" She pleaded, her eyes were full of worry, "you're the best person I know for this job please don't refuse!"

He was shaking his head in dismay, "Delia, I... I expert in behaviour study. It's... it's not my..."

"It is!" She said, "it was for many years before you changed your fields! Professor, I'm begging you. Do this for Gary if not for me, for Spandex for... for James."

It was hard to say no to Delia once she played the James card. He sighed and nodded. "I'll see what I can do, there is some stuff I have to take care of I can't leave my Pokémon unattended."

There was a spark of hope on her face. "Thanks Professor." She wiped a tear off her cheek.

Samuel smiled and nodded. "I owe it to James," he turned off the video.

His hands subconsciously traveled to his pocket, he took out a very old looking pocketwatch. His heart skipped a few beats as he opened them.

There was a picture of a girl, her honey blonde locks were white due to the lack of colour photography back in the day but her eyes still sparkled the same.

"I owe it to Ailsa."