Chapter 63:- The Rescue-Part 2

Ash was shaken alive by Serena.

"You're alive!" Gary said as he engulfed him in a hug.

Ash's eyesight was a little wobbly after witnessing the flashback. Every time he went into a trance induced by the Unowns, the path to recovery was slow. Of course, every case was different, in this one, his friend's embrace had been treatment enough.

"Suck it, Serena! I told you he would be alive!"

Serena down on the ground on her knees, she was elated to see Ash but pissed off by Gary's comment. "We only have four minutes left, let's go I'll suck later!"

A snicker escaped Gary's lips as he helped Ash up.

"What?" Serena took one of Ash's arm.

"Nothing," Gary was trying hard not to laugh.

Serena shrugged off the thought and made their way out of the pitch-black dungeons.

"What happened to your leg?" She asked with worry, "did they...?"

Ash understood the long pause, a smile crept upon his face as he shook his head. "No, I kicked the metal rods too strongly."

Serena smiled sympathetically.

No word in the dictionary was enough to convey how Ash felt at that moment. He'd almost given all hopes to get out of the wretched dungeon. But then he saw Serena and Gary and felt stupid for giving up.

Of course, the two of them would never give up on him, maybe even after he was dead.

"Where are the guards?" Ash whispered, "there are hundreds on this island!"

Gary and Serena exchanged a glance. "This is a secret passage, apparently Alain has already been to this place with some Lysander."

Ash almost stumbled, "That lizard?!" He shrieked, "he's alive?!"

Serena shrugged as they went down a slide. "Alain said it was none of our business."

A sigh escaped his lips as they approached a certain manhole cover above their heads.

"We're here," Serena said, "come on, let's get out!"

A grunt escaped her lips as she pushed the cover aside, hopefully looking at the two of them.

Ash hesitated and so did Gary.

"I can't go," Ash said, "Charlus is here and so is Spencer... I can't leave them here... especially with scarface and the unown."

Serena bit her lip in anger. "Alain said that you would say that..." she shared a meaningful nod with Gary.

Gary nodded in response, "I'm sorry, Ash."

"For wh—" his voice left his body when a swift kick came flying towards him, it hit his sore leg and knocked him to the ground, crying in agony.

"What.... what was that for?!" He cried, clutching his leg.

"Orders," Gary picked him up along with Serena, "Alain specifically said to kick your legs if you insisted on coming, he doesn't need a liability."

Ash tried to protest but the two of them combined were enough to lift him against his will. "I have to go!" He kept on crying, "Gary, I have to go!"

"Wait till we reach a bathroom," they came into a clearing surrounded by unique wildlife. Ash had lost count of time in the stuffy little dungeon, it felt wrong to say but he was glad Gary kicked him down.

"Gary you have no idea what type of people they are!" At this point, they were dragging him towards the jet parked deep into the forest. "Gary they have your father!"

The brunet hesitated but kept on moving, "Alain is taking care of it."

"He can't! Serena!"

Serena was torn between saving Ash and following Alain's orders. She exchanged a worried glance with Gary who nodded off her worries.

"It's... it's your hero complex, Ash." She said in a soothing voice, "Alain said he had it all under control."

"It's Alain's hero complex!" Ash argued, "Gary! It's your father!"

The brunet nearly threw Ash on the floor, a sigh escaped his lips as he reconsidered his options.

Do not come after me, Alain had repeated time and time, you'll kill me if you do.

Of course, Gary wasn't planning to go, he'd saved Ash and both he and Serena barely had a scratch on their bodies. They ought to be sitting quietly in the jet, waiting for Alain to alive after single-handedly saving his father, Spencer, and the nasty unown.

"He... he's been through worst."

"This is much worse than his worse," Ash emphasized, "Gary, he looked at me!"

Gary took a look at his friend, despite the dirt on his face, he could see the pain on his face. Ash would've never asked someone else to take on a dangerous task, at least not if he was able to. But the brunet had seen to it, and for Ash to urge someone else to risk their life... it must've been something important.

"Ash I—"

"No questions asked!"

Gary instantly shut his mouth, a sigh escaped his lips as he said, "You son of a—" He turned back, "Serena if we don't come in... you know what to do."

As soon as Serena nodded, Gary dashed out of the jet at full speed.

———————

Sorry for the poor chapter quality, I was going through a bit of a writers block.