Chapter 37:- Woobat Crap Crazy

The only thing he felt towards Dawn was intense loathing.

She was loud, chatty, annoying, and woobat crap crazy. He didn't know how Serena put up with her for six months or how her mother put up with her for twenty years because an hour with her seemed like an eternity.

"For Arceus sake do you ever shut up!" He cried out when she broke into an hour-long conversation about why pink was better than red.

Dawn looked at him with hurtful eyes, "I was trying to lighten the mood."

"Did I ask you to?"

Dawn cursed him beneath her breath and walked ahead of him. The bustling city of Basil was having a regular Tuesday. People were walking the cities and living their normal Pokemon free boring lives. Gary could never imagine such a life because Pokemon was his life.

The earpiece which Joanne had provided them with lay quietly in his ear. Ash had said to turn it on only when they were in an emergency although he might've said that because of the boiling anger he was in due to the sudden up heal from Serena.

Gary still laughed about it, the look on their faces was to die for.

Maybe I'll even slip my tongue for some action! Serena had said, Gary couldn't stop laughing at the comment.

Sister-in-law is sure feisty, he thought.

A sigh escaped his lips as he soaked in the bright rays of the sun. It felt nice to have such calmness and warmth around him. The freezing island of Haldfest and the underwater Southern Control Centre was so cold he feared he might've been dead all along.

I'm going to Aloha the first chance I get.

Gary closed his eyes as rays pierced his eyes, the city was bustling around him but he didn't care, as far as he knew, this was the quietest time he had since his blasted father called him.

...why is it so calm?

Gary opened his eyes, he looked in the front and around the back. There was no sign of Dawn.

"Shit!" He cried while frantically looking around.

After ten minutes of searching and shaking the shoulder of every woman with black hair (which was her undercover look) she still was MIA. Gary slammed his hand on his forehead and sat down on the nearest bench he could find.

Joanne was going to kill him when she found out he lost Dawn.

Technically, he thought, she asked Dawn to keep an eye on me.

No matter how many excuses he came up with, it didn't deviate him from the truth, Dawn was lost and it was his fault. She might've been kidnapped or dead in a ditch somewhere.

"If only there was..."

Just then it struck his mind, there was a way to find her. The shoes they were wearing had trackers sewn on them along with many other cool gadgets. He quickly took out his tracker that looked a lot like a normal phone and tried to track Dawn down.

"What the..."

It showed that Dawn still in an alleyway he'd just passed over without looking because it was too morbid to host living species.

"She's dead isn't she," he sighed as he followed the markings.

The good news was Dawn was not dead.

The bad news was, she looked like she was dead.

Gary found her staring at a brick wall in the narrow alleyway which had graffiti drawn on it. She was as still as a pillar, her mouth was slightly open and her eyes were unfocused. He swayed his hand in front of them but Dawn didn't even flinch.

"Dawn!" He screamed and shook her alive.

She broke out of her trance and slipped back, luckily Gary caught her by her arms before she could hit her head.

"What... what..." she hummed confusingly as she sat down on the ground.

"What did you go solo?" He said, "the instructions clearly stated–"

Before he could finish, Dawn put her finger on his lips. "Hush," she said in a low voice.

They stayed that way for a long time, finally when Gary couldn't take it anymore, he interrupted. "What the hell?"

"Hush!" She shushed again. "Can't you hear them?"

Gary tried to listen, "Hear what?"

"Them!" She pointed towards the wall, "they're right behind... they're behind... they're..." she put her hand on his shoulder and got up.

"What the..." Gary breathed as he followed her back to the graffiti wall.

Dawn has inched away from it, she was examining it with such delicate gaze that it made Gary wonder whether she was unhinged.

"Don't!" She screamed just as he was about to touch the wall, "Don't touch it, you nincompoop!"

He stopped his hand midair.

"Dawn, what's going on?" He asked with concern, she ignored his words of worry and continued to scan the wall with her eyes and ears.

She raised her palm and shushed as she continued her work. A groan escaped his lips over her stupidity but he stood there for as long as it was without saying a single word.

It was true that unown could mess with people's minds. But for that to happen they should be near one, he took out his UER receiver and checked for the signals, there were none.

Dawn was just Woobat-crap crazy then.

"They're here," she breathed, her voice was elevated with amazement, "Gary, they're here!"

"Who are they?"

"The unown!"

Gary's sighed, "They're not Dawn."

"They are!" She argued, "I can hear them! They're on the wall! Gary! In the wall!"

Gary took out the UER receiver, the screen was clean, there were no spikes. "See? No spikes!"

Dawn screamed in frustration, "They are here! I know it Gary I know it!"

"They are not!" He argued, "Dawn let's go we have work to do!"

He grabbed her hand and led their way out of the alley, Dawn struggled under his grip. She argued, screamed, and even kicked but Gary was dead set on getting out of the place.

"I'm not stupid I know they're here!" She argued, "let me go!"

Gary didn't let go until she bit his arm.

"Son of a—" he cried, "Dawn you— oh, no no no no no!"

But it was too late, by the time Gary tried to reach her, Dawn had disappeared into the graffiti wall. His jaw dropped open in amazement, Dawn was right, there were unowns here. He checked his UER receiver, there were no spikes.

"Oh, I'm so gonna regret this!" He exasperated as he followed her into the unown.