Ailsa Oak

When Delia approached her to ask Samuel to consult, Ailsa showed no emotions.

"Fine," she said while looking at the map of Orre, "do whatever you want, just get me that unown."

Delia looked hesitant. "Are you sure?" She kept her hands inside the pocket of her lab coat, "I mean if it's difficult, I'll understand. I'll figure something out by myself."

Ailsa didn't look up, "Why would it be difficult?" Her face showed no emotion, "you need a man to lean on when things get tough, it's perfectly acceptable."

Delia fumed with anger. "I don't need a man to lean against."

"Really?" Mocked Ailsa, "need I remind you of James?"

"What of James?"

"You leaned against him when things got too tired and after he died became a housewife... it's pathetic."

Delia clenched her fist in anger. "I'm still inviting Professor Oak." She said firmly, "I loved James and it was my choice to raise my son and no matter what you'll say will make me feel bad." Delia stormed out, "and..." she stopped in her tracts, "you don't have to such a pain in the ass just because James loved me more than Samuel could ever love you. If you weren't such a bitch, he'd be standing here with you."

Once she left, Ailsa grabbed the ends of the table and flipped it over. A scream of frustration escaped her lips as bottles of inks and pen fell over. She stood at the end of the destruction for a few minutes, breathing in and breathing out. Tears were forming at the edges of her eyes.

You can't cry, she told herself, you can't cry.

It took her quite a few minutes to regain her composure. She took another breath and straightened her clothes as she walked towards the glass wall. Seeing the roaring waves hit the isle of Hald Fest was platonically soothing.

"Let him come," she breathed on the wall, "I'll show him what I'm made of."

She was in a meeting with Charlus Oak when the door to her office rapped. She refused to acknowledge it but the knocking only grew louder.

"Someone's on the door," said Charlus.

"Thank you for pointing the obvious," she answered, a frown appeared on her face. "So this other Van-"

A creek echoed and the door opened, Ailsa nearly lost her mind.

"For God's sake, I'm on a—"

Her voice quickly disappeared after seeing Samuel Oak at the other end of the door. The corner of his mouth was slightly twitched, curled into what could be called a half-smile.

Ailsa didn't react, she turned back to the video call. "So this Van Black, what else do you know about him?"

Charlus didn't look interested in sharing the piece of information, he was about to burst with curiosity. If there was anything he wanted more than James alive , it was to know  who was on the other end of the door. He was certainly very capable since he was able to send his mother into a five-second shock. Considering that nothing, literally nothing surprised her.

"Who's on the door?" He asked.

She gave Sam a side-eye, "No one of importance, now the Van Black—"