Chapter 52:- The Diagnosis

The patient's uniform and the nasal cannula were making Grace irritable.

Unfortunately, she didn't have enough strength left in her to lift her arm. It was a bummer because her nose was itchy.

When the door opened, it was Delia who came in.

Grace groaned at the sight of her, they never really had the chance to talk after Grace learned of Delia's betrayal back at the Raider Manor. She wanted to turn away but then again, she didn't have any strength.

"You're not a doctor," she said, "why are you here?"

Delia smiled and looked down, "Ailsa is organizing a conference call at the Southern Center, do you want me to say anything to Serena?"

Grace shook her head, "I... I already met with her," she sighed, "why are you here?"

Delia sat down on a stool next to Grace's head. She ran her fingers through her lush hair. Grace wanted to object but she'd always liked it when Delia used to brush her hair.

"I'm sorry,"

Grace was taken aback, over the past few years that she'd been angry at her best friend, Delia had always justified her choice, she had never apologized.

"I know," Delia took her hand in hers, "I've never said sorry but... I'm sorry Grace."

"For what, exactly?"

"For being a bitch," she sighed, "for being a bad friend, for ignoring you, for being selfish, for being—"

"I get it," Grace said, "the list can go on and on."

Delia smiled. Grace was the toughest person she ever had the privilege of knowing. No one could rival her determination, the sheer ability to mock her way out of any situation, the capabilities, her insurmountable kindness, and putting others above all else, even herself.

Delia poured water from the bottle next to Grace and emptied it into the plant next to her. Instead, she poured it fully with beer which she took out from her pocket. She then put the straw near Grace's mouth and took out another bottle from her pocket.

"You remembered my favorite beer," Grace drank a sip.

"Of course, it was very hard to forget."

Grace grinned her teeth in bitterness, she had so many reasons not to speak with her nemesis, after all, she had betrayed her but desperate times called for desperate measures. This was one of those times.

"I looked into the records," Delia took a sip of her beer, "they are intact, no sign of forced entry, the building is yet to be discovered."

"Did anyone follow you?"

She took another sip, "Discrete as a street rat."

Grace sighed as she played with her straw. "So it's true then, it was one of us."

Delia nodded, "It is one of us."

She shook with tremors as she drank her beer.

One of us, she wondered miserably, one of us.

"Can I ask you something?" Delia said to which she nodded, "why would you tell me something so... delicate?"

Trust no one, the trainers at the academy had said, behave as if your partner might betray you any moment. If you get your hands on something important, talk to Ailsa, the only person you can trust.

Ailsa wouldn't trust that silvery bitch in a thousand years, she was a lying and manipulative whore. But if she was going to uncloak the traitor, she had to ask for help, the question was from whom?