Unwelcome Reminiscences

Your POV

I felt a shiver as we got closer to the docks. Seeing him standing there - Captain Hook - all grand and purposeful, he reminded me of the villain I knew from stories, the pirate to be feared.

It wasn't like we hadn't gotten better accustomed with each other. Since all of the summer's drama died down, Harry and I made quite a few visits to the Jolly Roger, and it was, truthfully, pleasant. Captain Hook accepted that his son was close with a princess, and after knowing me better, realized I was not the worst thing that could have happened to his son. He seemed normal - as normal as any of the Storybook parents are - and in my eyes, not threatening at all. Harry did warn me of the times he could get...crazy, or slip into one of his episodes, but it never happened when I was around.

Those were more frequent when Harry was younger, but thankfully Captain Hook is now, mostly, over reliving his past. And Harry definitely makes sure of that. "No triggers, no episodes, and I can live in peace" he'd always say.

Still, seeing the Captain standing there frozen under the moonlight - I couldn't help but feel like the atmosphere was more than a little ominous.

"Seems like someone realized their dust is missing." I nervously laughed, looking to Harry for his reaction.

He smiled in a way that let me know there was no need to worry, the only prominent emotion in his eyes being annoyance at the situation. He sighed. "Let's go see the fuss he's about to make."

We slowly lowered closer to the water, landing on the pier - thankfully - without falling.

"You finally got over your heights thing, huh, son?" Hook grinned. "You remember, there was a time where nothing, or nobody, could get you to leave the ground. Oh, you would cry-"

"Yes, I remember." Harry cut in curtly. "Why are you here father?"

"Now now Harry, I don't think that's the tone you should be using - even if my appearance is ruining your little date."

"It's not a-"

"I get it, it isn't. Or maybe it is. What you want to call this excursion is irrelevant Harry. What I am concerned about is why you felt you could steal from me. And more importantly, how you believed you could get away with it."

I fiddled with my bracelet as I stood off to the side - the dust had magically returned to the pouch upon landing - merely observing the exchange.

"We were just about to return it, father! It was a borrowing, not theft." Harry scoffed and threw his dad the pouch.

Captain Hook caught the pouch's drawstrings on his hook. "Next time, just ask. I wouldn't say no."

"Fine." He began to walk forward. "We need to head back."

"Very well." His father now turned to me. "Did you enjoy yourself, (y/n)?"

"Yes, I did, very much."

Harry glared at his dad. Obviously, he thought this run-in would qualify as something that "ruined" our perfect day. I didn't mind it at all. I looked over at him to neutralize his hostility.

Captain Hook continued, ignoring his son and addressing me. "You should visit again sometime. Our conversations were always intriguing - I'm sure you'll want to hear about my encounter with a certain "pirate fairy"..."

"Harry was telling me about that, I'd love to hear how all that came to be! You've been on some of the best adventures, Captain Hook."

He nodded. We made eye contact but he wasn't focused on me at all. His mind was fixed on something far away, distant.