Reluctant Departure

Not much action in this chapter, but some interesting - and awkward - interactions take place... this is another one of those tying in-between parts, I still hope you enjoy it though! 

"That can't be..." I began, shocked from the revelation of the cause of Johnny's distress.

"It is."

"But there must be a way around it! Can you not hide it from her? Surely you can still see each other in Auradon?"

"If we could, would I have minded so much? If that was the case, apart from the burden of disobedience on Uma's side, there would be no pain associated with the event. No, Ursula's too smart. She has goons all over Auradon, in the school even, who would report us for so much as a glance in the others' direction - not seeing each other doesn't mean not dating, it means staying away from each other at all costs. We can't even hang out (y/n)!"

"What if you take extra care - meet at night, or have someone cover for you? I doubt her goons are that brilliant-minded." I proposed.

"Even if it is a possibility, I certainly won't bring it up. And if Uma herself does, I - or you - will talk her out of it. I love her too much to allow myself to be the reason she's stuck on the Isle. Uma has never wanted anything more than to be in Auradon - no one is worth giving that up for, especially not me."

"But Jo--"

"We're not going to discuss this anymore as if there's another option! It's done with, the only thing you can do... is be here for me." I could see his expression change and soften, and with a whisper of dejection he pleaded, "Please."

I was pained that he requested as he did, as if there was a possibility I wouldn't. "Of course, you shouldn't ask."

I made him lay his head in my lap, and I stroked his hair as he worked out his sorrow. All the while, my head was rushing with thoughts and likely solutions. He's giving up too easily - I know he doesn't like conflict... is it possible he's making it seem harsher than it is? Is he leaving her now, because it's the path of least resistance? And what does Uma think about this? I bet Harry and her are talking right now... I wonder what his advice is, and how her version of the story goes. Does she see the situation as hopeless?

And say it really is as bad as Johnny has related, then can they not do a good enough job of hiding it, at least till Uma's mom has calmed down? Or can any of us not go speak some sense into that sea witch - advocate for Johnny's integrity, and allow Uma herself to speak for her love for him?

We sat like this until the evening bell rang, which queued his getting up. Relieved to see his tears had stopped, I smiled.

"Should I stay here tonight? I can't leave you on a day like this."

He shook his head. "Sil will be here anyway. Go back to the room, I can see you in the morning. Plus, I wouldn't want you to sleep on the couch."

"That's no issue at all - and you're not the fondest of Sil, isn't his being here even more reason for me to accompany you?"

"Even so, I'd rather you be there for Uma."

"But come on Johnny, you were there for me, all night, when I needed you back in the summer. It's only right that I do the same for you."

"That was different - there was a maniac witch on the loose. You can't protect me from what has already happened."

"You'll want the company of a friend either way." I resigned, feeling horrible that whatever I could say or do was of no use in this situation - nothing was in my power to actually help.

"Thank (y/n), from the bottom of my heart. But with everything, even if it made complete sense for you to remain with me, I still couldn't. Not with Sil coming here. We both know the bugger would quite literally drool his sheets wet with you in the room."

"As... repulsive as that sounds, I would still put up with it. Your welfare means more than you know to me." I was about to give up when I had an idea. "What about Harry? Shall I send him to give you company?"

"Don't - it's too much trouble."

"He wouldn't mind."

"Trust me when I say I'll be fine alone. You really made me feel better - I'm okay. Just knowing Uma will have you around is consolation enough."

"If you're sure... I'll see you first thing tomorrow, okay?"

"If I can even feel up to school." He muttered, clearly having already planned to skip classes.

"Don't do that to yourself - first of all, you would be wallowing in self-pity all day, which I cannot allow, forcing me to stay home from school. Secondly, you can't let Ursula's rash opinions affect your life! You'd be giving her too much power over you. A-and... you would get to see Uma in classes tomorrow - that's something, isn't it?"

"I'm not going to pretend your logic is sound," He smirked, a hint of his spirits heightening, "but if you would insist on accompanying me all day if I were to stay home, then I'll attend tomorrow - for your sake, and mine." He chuckled as I scoffed at his remark. "But don't count on me giving any attention to Uma, or even looking her way. I won't risk it." I felt like rolling my eyes at the extent to which Johnny was taking caution, but stopped myself at the risk of being insensitive.

"Fine, I'll see you tomorrow then - I'll go check on Uma now, I'm sure she's wondering how you're doing."

"(Y/N), try not to delude her into thinking there's a miraculous solution to this, or encourage her to defy Ursula - for my sake."

"I'll try my best."

He caught me by my sleeve as I reached for the doorknob. "I'm serious." He looked into my eyes, piercing.

"And so am I Johnny." With this he was content and ready to part.

To my luck, as I was leaving, none other than Sil was approaching. I turned around to Johnny with a look of defeat, knowing it was too late to get away without him seeing me.

He waved obnoxiously, prompting an acknowledgement on my part.

"Good evening, Sil."

"Hello there, princess." I grimaced at how close to me he chose to stand.

"I'll be off now, I've got somewhere to be." I cordially attempted to excuse myself from any conversation he intended to begin.

"Come on, don't you have time for a quick game, princess?" I hated the condescending tone he'd adopted since I first met him. That's what happens when you begin hanging out with Chad and his minions.

"The evening bell's gone off, it's too late." I tried to calm myself, but couldn't help but add, "And Sil, please refrain from calling me "princess." I hate it."

"Don't others-"

"Others are different. You make it sound like an insult, or a degradation." I said with spite.

"Well I didn't mean-"

"I know you didn't, it's fine." I cooly added. "I really must be leaving now, good night." I could sense Johnny stifling a laugh from inside as I marched off.

I heard Sil's voice managing out a subdued "sleep well" as I strode away. Ugh. Time to go see what's going on with Harry and Uma. I sighed, head-heavy from the demands of the day, but determined to get to the bottom of this issue. I can't tell what drained me more... the advanced spell I conjured in Fortuna, or the Johnny-Uma conundrum.

Ugh, some people - *cough cough* Sil 🙄 - just don't take no for an answer! I wonder what's going on between Harry and Uma back at the girls' dorms...

Any comments, suggestions, or feedback? I realize since this is a sequel the number of people who read it will be fewer, but I'm so glad for those of you who are! It makes the effort worth it :)

I hope you're having a great day, see you next week!!