Reluctantly Royal

Your POV

He was caught off guard, but looked down with his kind smile. "Just, you know, life. Everything at once."

"Are you really okay?"

"Yes, of course."

"Really?"

"I'm okay, (y/n). I'm not going to break. Not today."

"I figured news like this could be reason to, that's all."

"Maybe. But right now, I'm fairly optimistic. I can't change everything I lost on that day, but because of you, at least I have a chance at a family now. Granted, we figure out how they can remember."

"That's a good way to look at it - better than the questions that have been spinning through my head."

"They're spinning through mine as well. I'm just forcing it out for now. Those will be the questions until we get the answers, so no pointing in making assumptions or anything."

"Yeah, I think Harry and I do too much assuming. Before we know it, we've made an entire story based on the tiniest detail, and we haven't a clue as to what actually happened."

He laughed. "Your imagination does come up with fantastical stories - it's only natural you see it in everything. Just be careful - before can open your eyes, you could end up living in it."

"You're right, as always. I do have a habit of twisting reality sometimes, hung up on some narrative I think is true. I need to learn to let go."

"This tournament will be as good a time as any, to forget about it all. You've said it gets pretty wicked, right?"

"It'll be a blast, I'm looking forward to it. It might be fun to see some new faces around school - Legacy kids know how to have a good time."

"Hey, what were your shifts again? Weren't we all supposed to go over them at our picnic?"

"Oh, we totally forgot! Maya and Kai didn't even say if they'd be back in time for theirs."

Auradon Prep is hosting this fencing tournament alongside Legacy Academy, which meant everyone had to contribute in some way. Especially us, the older students in the school.

There were various shifts you could pick up, either assisting the tournament in some way, or if you were loaded, making a generous donation to the school. Doesn't say much for school spirit, but it gets kids like Audrey out of needing to do any work.

"Don't worry, Maya and Kai took theirs towards the end of the tournament, so they'll come back in time. Plus, I don't think that they're staying too long - you know the prospect of new students in the school would be too much to stay away from. For the both of them."

I laughed. "True." I checked my phone to confirm what I had signed up for. "Most of my shifts are as Medic - I have the background in sports injuries anyways." This was a role I took every year - it was the closest to being in the action without actually needing to be in the action. "None for today though. They're scattered around the mornings, and then during some of the most interesting match-ups. Hopefully the injuries will be good this year."

"Yeah, let's all hope someone gets stabbed so you can get an exciting case." Johnny put his arm around me. "That's totally not selfish." He ruffled his hair absentmindedly.

"Not stabbed, just hurt enough that I'm on more than bandaid duty. And it shouldn't be Harry getting hurt." I joked.

"Mhm. Very sweet of you."

"I've got some other random set-up and monitoring roles, but that's it for me. What've you got?"

"Actually, I have a few Medic ones too. I've also got some shifts as Co-commentator with Uma."

"Commentator, of course - I should have guessed Uma would go for that."

"Yeah she's far more keen on it than I am - I just took a few so I could be close to her. I'm not too excited about having to use a mic in front of everyone, but I do suppose I know enough about fencing to do a good job of it."

"That'll be interesting for sure - I could never, but I can so imagine Uma in that role. She loves to be heard. I just don't know how she'll be able to keep impartiality when Harry's on..."

"It's a good thing I'll be there." Johnny laughed. "Kai signed up to mostly be on the welcoming committee, making the Legacy students at home in Auradon for the duration of the tournament, and Maya said she wanted to give a shot at cheerleading."

"Honestly, I couldn't have expected anything else out of those two. Both those roles fit them perfectly."

"It'll be nice - I'm sure all of our positions will overlap at some points, and when we're free, we can cheer on Harry. Never had much of a school to show spirit for, so I can't wait."

I could finally make out Auradon Prep in the distance - we'd be able to find a carriage soon enough to take us the rest of the way. The city became more congested, and it felt like we were back to civilization.

"Things any better with you and Uma? Ursula-wise?"

"They're not worse, I can tell you that." He shrugged. "We're both taking more risks, and so far it appears to be alright, so hopefully it's settled down for now."

"Wait... Johnny, I just realized something."

As if reading my thoughts, I think it clicked in his mind as well.

"(Y/N)..." He warned, but didn't stop me from saying it out loud.

"I remember what you told me Ursula said that day... the day Uma took you to meet her. You said that her mother minded her being with you because you were..."

"Nobody. You can say it."

"Yeah, that. And she wished you were from either a known Isle family, or even better, were royalty." I stopped him from walking, and put my hands on his shoulders. "Johnny, you are royalty! As royal as it gets!"

"I mean, yes, you're right - things with Ursula do get magically fixed by this realization."

"At least something good came out of it! Then why..."

"(Y/N), it still doesn't change the fact of the matter. Ursula didn't care for me for who I am. All she cares about is how Uma's matching could prove beneficial for their family."

"And Ursula has always been that way - she's not going to change. Seeing that she's stubborn like that, with the revelation you're Coronian, she won't bother you anymore. That's a positive."

"What if everything changes? Everyone is going to start seeing me differently now, and that worries me. I don't want that kind of attention."

"Johnny, this is like what I was telling Harry when he found out what a big deal I am back in Auradon. We don't have to advertise that side of us if we don't wish to. Us royals, we live in Auradon City - the center of all kingdoms. We're not the only princes and princesses around here. If we choose to play it low, soon enough people move on. There are far more royals who flaunt their extravagance, that those of us who don't want, you know, that type of attention, get forgotten soon enough." I smiled with reassurance. "Sure, the first few weeks could be rough, but it will get better."

"I hope so."

"I never wanted friends who would use me just for my status either. But the good thing is, you already have your friends - and we'll have you back. I promise I won't let the press eat you alive." I began to walk with him again.

"That's far ahead in the future anyway. The press better not find out before I want them to."

"They won't. You aren't a person of interest to them at the moment - and when you are, well, that's when it will have become public information."

We continued on through the city, and had our eyes on a parked carriage taxi which we would take back to the school.

It wasn't far, when Johnny came to a sudden halt beside me. 

What (or who) do you think Johnny could have seen that made him stop in his tracks? 

I hope everyone is having a great break! It won't be long before the others come back into the story - it's about time we get to see Harry again, don't you think?

See you soon :)