Puzzling Acts

Idk why I've always imagined Steve White as Steve from Full House - he sort of fits the physical description? Feel free to suggest recasts - not very much thought was put into this haha

Your POV

I glanced at Uma for something that would tell me no, but she urged me on. "We can catch up in the room, see you." She and Johnny were gone in a second.

He led me to a corner of the gym with a little less chaos.

"There's something I wanted to speak with you about." Surprisingly, his voice wasn't mocking.

My heart was racing. What could Steve want to say to me? I haven't seen or thought of the guy for months now.

"For starters, see, I said some things at the summer celebration that were rude and unkind. I apologize. There's no excuse for how I treated you - I didn't even know you." It was true - that he didn't know who I was - but it still felt a little sour to think of. How did I want to be with someone who didn't even know me?

"It's all in the past, I don't even think of it." I smiled but it felt a little shaky, a little fake. Please get this over with, whatever it is. Even if it is a mockery of me in some way, just get on with it.

"Well, I believe these matters are of somewhat importance, but I can't really..." He looked up at the ceiling, his jet black hair falling back from his classic snowy white face.

"Go on." I frowned in confusion.

"It's very complicated. But I believe you know-"

"Steve! What're you doing man?" One of his friends was striding towards us.

"Oh shoot." Steve shook his head in a panic.

Sensing this was obviously something he didn't want an audience for, I diverted the subject as if I was just casually striking conversation with him. "Yeah, so that catch - it was quite spectacular. I did not see that coming."

His eyes widened slightly, but as slow as he was, he caught on. "It took a lot of practice, that's for sure! Harry threw it though, so his aim is what made it what it was. Slightly off, and well, it might not have been as spectacular."

"I just wanted to wish you luck on the tournament anyways - I won't keep you." I began to back away, eager to know what he wanted to say, but also keen to get out of this situation.

"Thank you. Maybe we'll catch up some time - go over some of that calculus that we had to go over." God, he did not need to make it that obvious, I get it. Although, for someone like Steve, anyone would believe he was struggling with calc. He probably is.

"Sure, anytime."

He waved with a smile as I turned around and made for the door once again, and the moment he was out of my sight, I allowed myself to make a very confused expression to myself.

I shook it off and forced myself not to dwell on it when I don't even know what it was, but I could already expect an interrogation from Uma when I get back. I only hope she can keep it in until the night when the boys return to their rooms - the last thing I want Harry to be concerned about is Steve White.

There was so much commotion in the halls it was impossible to believe it was the same school that's usually so deserted this time in the night.

The door to the room was left open for me, and I was met by a hug the moment I entered.

"Don't worry, I've already showered," Harry whispered in my ear.

"What took you?" Uma called from my bed as I hugged Harry back and locked the door behind us.

"Don't bother, I'll fill you in later," I called back.

I diverted my attention back to Harry, who was bursting with anticipation to get a chance to talk.

"So?" He looked at me expectantly, waiting for a remark.

"So, you threw that sword, Harry?" I didn't even try to mask my impression.

He beamed, looking insanely proud. "That was me."

"Incredible. I mean, I thought Steve was just sitting out, and you didn't say a word! How'd you keep such a secret?"

"It wouldn't have been half as fun if you knew about it. (Y/N) I watched you - you were petrified." He teased as if it wasn't a completely normal reaction to a sword barrelling at you.

"Hah - that's one way to put it. You realize it was coming straight for me?"

"I know. You didn't think I was so nervous for nothing, did you? One slight miscalculation and, well, I would've earned the status of true pirate." He said it so casually.

"You knew I'd be sitting there? No ways."

"No, I didn't know. Bu-ut I did tell Johnny and Uma that seats were assigned, and made sure you'd be sitting there."

"You're mental. Completely." I shook my head. "You wanted me to be the one nearly impaled?"

"Come on, we'd practised for weeks. It just added to the excitement of it all."

"I think I'd have much preferred it if you were the one saving me, and not the one who hurled it at me in the first place." I wasn't serious, but it didn't change the fact that Harry had a weird way of showing love.

"You'd know something was off if I wasn't part of the show and sitting a few rows down. Plus, I wasn't going to be the one to take a moment of glory from Steve White. Either way, no one from Auradon or even the Isle has quite the precision I do. I was the pirate for the job." He said it nonchalantly, but I was laughing inside, wondering if he had prepared this speech.

"There's no doubt about that." I sat down on Maya's bed next to him. "You were amazing tonight."

"Just wait until tomorrow." On this high, nothing was going to bring Harry's confidence down. He might have been unsure before, but those feelings are long dissipated.

"Speaking of tomorrow," Uma sat up, and her voice perked Johnny into the conversation, who was just sitting idly at the couch before. "Harry and I thought it would be fun if the four of us went out and did something together, for once. Something crazy in time for the actual matches tomorrow afternoon." She looked at him to continue.

"I think our schedules for volunteering and matches give us enough time if we leave first thing in the morning. We were thinking, if the two of you want to, we could all make a trip down to Dizzy's hair salon at the Isle and mess around with our hair! Temporary dye, of course, but it would be just as fun." He looked at me with raised eyebrows.

"That sounds like so much fun! I'm up for it." With that from me, the rest of us looked to Johnny. Going out would do him some good.

"Yeah, sounds like a plan!" If he was masking his true emotions, he was doing an excellent job of it.

The evening was spent reliving Harry's ingenious plan and performance, and wondering what Maya and Kai were doing at the moment. This didn't last too long however, since Harry and I spent the previous night on a flying carpet, we severely needed to catch up on sleep.

The boys left for their rooms, and as we were laying in our beds, Uma sleepily called out my name. "(Y/N)?"

What do we think Steve was trying to say? 

I hope everyone is taking care of themselves! Remember to drink plenty of water and get enough sleep - it makes all the difference !