Familiar Faces

Familiar faces... get it? The operative part leading to family... ^here's little Johnny! Remember to notice when the focus is shifted from the older (y/n) and Johnny to younger Johnny and Ruby (it starts when Rapunzel begins to speak). 

Your POV

Suddenly, the world of the memory expanded, and the area of Hook's Bay that was previously hidden away opened up.

"It's coming back," Johnny whispered. "Not everything, not anything specific, but I can feel it coming." He reheld my hand. "I know they're there."

I stood still, not moving until he motioned first.

Slowly, he began to walk in the direction of the trees, away from where Harry and I had been, pulling me slightly. This is that moment - the one that's been dreaded. It's here.

The family came into view, familiar to me - the chopped brown hair, the burly father, the little boy and girl. Especially the blond boy.

Johnny quietly gasped, the air getting stuck in his throat. I couldn't bring myself to see his expression, so I looked at the memory as he was doing.

What is he thinking? Is he surprised? Did he always know, somewhere deep inside? Does he feel hurt, or relieved? What could be going through his head?

His voice came out weak, and he brought me closer to the family, yet still not close enough to see real details in their conversations and faces. "(Y/N) I don't know much about the history of Auradon and its royals, so I need you to tell me." He spoke so slowly - as if he had forgotten how to. "Is that Queen Rapunzel and King Eugene?"

"I believe it is."

"So that's Ruby. And... a boy. A boy who looks like her - and who also looks like me." He still hasn't remembered - he's just observing what he sees.

"Yes."

"Does that mean... I'm a prince? I'm a prince." I looked at him, and in a snap his hesitance ended, and his eyes widened in horrifying knowledge. "I'm the heir to the throne of Corona." He looked down to me, relating bits of shocking memories that he now understood were reality. "All my life - that word. Heir. I remember the word because everyone in the castle said it all the time. Ruby is my twin sister - but I was born first. I was supposed to inherit it all. I was going to be king - a three-year-old, knowing he was going to be king one day, what is that?" He shook his head, and I didn't know if it was in joy or despite. "It's... that's insanity." He paused. " But it was me. That was my future... that was my future... until..." He drew his hand to his head, pained. "Until what? I can't..."

"Hey, Johnny, take it slow. This is a lot to be taking in at once - the answers will come with time."

I followed as he walked up right to his family, and sat down on the picnic mat. I took the opportunity for a rest too - Johnny's going through a lot, but I knew how my head was killing me. I had to show him enough to be satisfied, but not so much that I lost my memory like last time.

"How could she let it happen? After what happened to Rapunzel, how did she allow her child to be lost from her, as she was lost from her family? From my... grandparents?" He paused. "But I understand. There must have been some reason. I can't recall it, but something must have happened. Horrible things don't just happen to good people for no reason." His words were forgiving - how they were, I couldn't imagine - but his voice was numb.

"The reason... happens here."

"Here?! In this memory?"

I nodded. "I'm sorry, Johnny. This was the day many things went downhill, and one of the most significant, being what happened to you."

"These were my last moments with them. With my parents and my sister." He still didn't shed a tear, but his eyes were red in anticipation of it. He didn't say anything else, and focussed his gaze on his family. He was now trying to listen to what was being said.