A Shocking Separation

^This pic is relevant a little later in the chapter so keep it in mind. Also, this chapter escalates...quickly 😳 

Your POV

I shot my eyes open and looked at my bracelet. Almost instantly, it lit up, emitting its usually bright white light. I figured that along with that, my eyes would be flashing violet.

The world went black, catching me off guard. Where'd everything go?! I tried walking around, but everything was nothing. All I could think of now was how much I missed Harry.

[This little stanza is to the same tune as the first stanza of "If You Only Knew" (from the previous chapter). I'll be using this tune a few times in the story as a fun motif :) You can scroll back for that, or just search up the song if you're not familiar with it yet! ]

You're distant don't know where you are

I look around and it's all dark

I feel the pounding in my heart

Can you hear it?

Suddenly, I was zipped back into reality.

I laughed as I found myself in the courtyard again. "It worked," I whispered to myself.

I turned towards the forest, and saw Harry - and me - already walking into it. How does this work? Do I just watch everything play out? Like in my dream?

I ran to catch up with us.

My hair's in my face again, let me just fix that... I reached out to my "memory self" to just push that strand away, but my hand just went through. Evidently, not even the smallest thing can be changed.

I listened in on the same conversation I had earlier, not being able to help myself from viewing myself with a most critical eye. Stop staring at the ground so much. Fix your hair. Smile more.

We finally arrived at the familiar log, and I stood while "memory us" sat.

"Harry, something weird is going on -"

"Don't say that (y/n)!" I tried to interject.

'Memory me' continued without hesitation. "like really weird - and I have no idea what to make of it."

"No - don't bring it up. Just drop the subject!" I tried again in vain.

"What do you mean by weird... is it dangerous?" Harry reiterated on queue.

It was pointless, they couldn't hear me. I ignored the rest of the conversation and tried to see my limitations with this spell. How far out can I go? Can I go check in on what Uma was doing at this time? Or even mom and baba?

As I tried to head back, I was repelled by a force as soon as I was about to lose sight of 'memory me'. It seems like I can only stay within the lines of what I experienced at that moment... interesting. As I glanced back at the scene playing out, I realized I was not as good at masking my vexation as I had hoped. I should work on tha-

Abruptly, I was taken back to present day, feeling exhausted. I'll need to build my power if I want to stay in a memory for longer than a few minutes.

Pleased with my discovery, and hopeful for its uses, I finally called it a day and walked back to the dorms. Not only was the cold catching onto me, but I was also eager to hear the result of Harry's try-outs.

I gave a little wave to Ruby, who I found in the courtyard, painting as usual, and continued up to my room.

The room was empty, to my surprise. Harry should be up in a few minutes, Maya and Kai have after school curriculum catch up lessons, but where are Johnny and Uma?