Horrible Luck

Your POV

"(Y/N), tell me what's going on." Johnny's concern was me, astoundingly, even after the memory we just saw.

"I'm okay. I remember who you are." I closed my eyes for a second and then willed myself to open them once again. "It's just that I feel this overwhelming tiredness."

"You have to stay awake! Last time-"

"I know." I didn't know how I would stay up - falling asleep felt like an eventuality. "I need to distract myself to get over it. What time is it?"

"6 PM. Harry's show will be in a few hours."

"I wonder how he's getting on."

"Fine, I'm sure."

"How are you getting on?"

Johnny sighed heavily. "I'm trying not to think about it."

"A lot happened." I pinched myself subtly as I spoke, an effort to stay alert. "And I don't know if there's a way for everyone to remember. No without me personally taking everyone back." I tried to laugh.

"Yeah." He smiled. "I was - I am - over the fact that I grew up as I did. It happened, and it was my fate. Whatever. And things turned out well for me! The barrier came down, I met you, Uma, started school in Auradon. The confusion I felt when I was younger between good and bad didn't matter now that I was here and could be whoever I wished to be. But... still... I can't cease wondering how my life would have been if I was with my family as I should have been."

"I can't imagine. I don't know how you're staying so composed."

"It's not anyone's fault, right? I mean, my dad went back to help someone else, which could have been why I was separated from the rest of them, but it's not like any of us wouldn't have done the same, right?"

"Yeah. It was noble."

"Just screwed over my life in some way." He laughed. "It's a joke, (y/n). I'm not angry."

I nodded. "You could be, though."

"But I'm not." He took my hand. "There's a lot to decompose though. Um, do you think we can keep all of this to ourselves for a while though? Whether it's Uma or Ruby, I think I should sort things out with myself first, before having to take on someone else's feelings as well, you know? Like how you waited a bit to take me here, only after you processed what the memory held."

"Yeah, of course, no question. I'm going to ask Harry not to mention it either, even to you. I don't think you need a million people asking you how you are."

"Thanks. I wouldn't have minded, Harry's as close as it gets, and he does already know, but I think I do need some time."

"Understandable." I shrugged. "And Harry will understand that too. Things weren't easy for him either, because well, he saw his mother here. And not to tell you his story, but things might have been different were she in Auradon when..."

Johnny shook his head. "Shoot, I don't know how he's coping. At least I didn't lose anyone. A few birthdays, a few of my formative years, some affection, maybe - but it's not entirely irreversible."

"Yeah, he was... seeing him like that was painful because I couldn't do anything. He wants to get back at whoever was behind this, I don't know. But even with you Johnny, I feel useless. People like Harry and you have lost so much, it seems so unfair that I got out of it generally unscathed. My life wasn't ripped apart. And that was just because I was Jasmine and Aladdin's daughter. And fairly, yours shouldn't have been either - you're the heir to Corona! You're not an Isle boy, even in the traditional sense. You're one of the last people that should have ended up there."

"You shouldn't let that bother you. It's not your fault it turned out how it did - it was just luck."

"Horrible luck."

"Will... um.... do you think my family remembers me at all? I know Hook's Bay events are as good as gone to everyone, but they couldn't have forgotten their child entirely, right?"

"I mean, I remember stuff from a bit before and after the event, and my parents always tell me stories of when I was born. So that means that they do remember, it's just that the parts about the Isle "not existing" and things to do with it never existed in their minds. So based on that, they should remember you - maybe it'll be a little masked, especially for Ruby who was just as young as you then, but with a reminder, I think they'll remember."

"I just wonder why they never looked for me. How did they go back to their castle with one child less? And then move on like he never existed?"

"I don't know. To me, that's unimaginable. But who knows what was going through their heads that day?"

"That's something I'd like to know. But there's no point wondering now - especially today. I think we both deserve a massive break."

My tiredness, thankfully, was at last wearing off. "I couldn't agree more. Want to head back?"

"I don't see any point in hanging around here."

I nodded. "You mind walking?"

"Not at all."

We packed up whatever was left behind, and began the stretch back to Auradon Prep. It wasn't too far, but it would still take us half an hour at the very least to get to the nearest carriage that would finish our journey to the school.

We began in silence.

I searched through every corner of my mind for things I could say, but drew a blank every time. There was nothing, light or heavy, that I could think of to say to him. Accepting defeat, I just accepted the silence and allowed myself to actually process the new discoveries made on the Hook's Bay episode.

How could this really have happened to him? There were a million possibilities or outcomes that didn't end with Johnny being separated from his family, but those weren't the reality.

Even though it did happen, I couldn't come to terms with the fact that it did.

Eugene went back for that other child, why didn't he go back, no matter how far, for his own son? Rapunzel seemed to have so much love for Johnny - how could she lose him and not look for him? Especially after her own childhood? Did someone stop them from looking for him? What did Ruby think of it?

I felt my breathing quicken with these thoughts and had to cease the questions from forming, because the more they did, the more I could feel the negative emotions coming on - and the very last thing I needed was for my already drained bracelet to try and put on a show. Knowing its newfound extravagance, it'd probably try flooding Auradon in light of how I was feeling.

I wonder what Johnny is thinking about...

Just ask him.

No, I can't.

But you want to know. He's probably waiting for you to say something.

It's too hard.

Don't you think it's harder for him?

I gulped and mustered the voice to ask him. "What are you thinking about?"

Back in Auradon and back to reality - how are the holidays going for you? I hope you're taking time off to recharge and relax, you deserve it!

Remember to take care of yourself :) 

Happy Holidays!!