Left Behind

Your POV 

"Flynn! What's going on?" Rapunzel exclaimed after the realization of the announcement.

"I have no idea." He stood up and prompted his family to do the same. "But we should head back to Corona."

"Come on, kids. It's time to go back home." Neither of the Rider children protested as Harry and I had, sensing the seriousness in their mother's tone.

Rapunzel held Ruby's hand, who held Johnny's, who held Eugene's. Hook's Bay began to empty out, and everyone was headed back to the mainland.

"Our cart! Where is it?" It seemed they had travelled here from Corona by horse-drawn carriage - with all the families crowding, there was no cart in sight.

Johnny and I followed the Riders as they tried to locate their cart, but they found no luck. At this point, little Johnny was still with his family. I hated myself for wanting things to move faster, but I was really reaching my breaking point. This was almost how long Harry and I stayed, and well, that didn't end exactly well.

There was a cluster of people heading in our way, with the soldiers who Harry had described at the docks trying to round up villains.

In this kind of chaos, I couldn't even tell the difference between the royals and the nots, it just looked to me like families trying to stay together. How do these horrible people have the heart to do something like this? What could the reason be?

In the distance a little ahead of where we were, a baby was on the ground, just barely escaping the stampede.

"Johnny, look over there." I pointed. "A baby."

His eyes widened. "Why is nobody doing anything! Who are these monsters?" His eyes were now glued to that child. "Someone's got to notice." He whispered.

"Punzie! An infant!" Eugene stopped in his tracks and gestured to the same child whom we had spotted.

Rapunzel gasped.

"I have to go over!" He screamed over all the noise. "That child could die otherwise."

"Go, we'll be fine!" Rapunzel shouted back.

Now, Eugene had to let go of little Johnny's hand as he ran across the road to see the child. Little Johnny was just paralyzed, not comprehending anything that was going on. He tightened his grip on his sister's hand.

The next part happened so quickly I didn't even know how it occurred.

My eyes were on Eugene as he retrieved the child. As soon as he did, a worried mother ran over to her baby, thanking him, but not thankful enough.

From what I made out, she left the baby there on purpose. She was some villain's accomplice, and was to take her child to the Isle.

"She didn't want her baby to be on the Isle," I spoke, but Johnny wasn't even listening.

Eugene was still convincing her that being with her child was what would be best, as she begged him to take the baby. As he was doing so, I heard a scream from our side of the road.

It was Rapunzel.

The men with shields and horses came their way, and they were all running towards the center of the city - towards their castle, although that was far off.

It took one trip from some of the escaping "villains" and a thrown smoke bomb to cause disaster, and before we knew it no one could be seen at all.

The colour filled the air and I knew this is when it happened.

Eugene on the other end just ran to find his family, leaving the woman with her child.

The soldiers were ruthlessly separating people in this mess and herded some away. It was so loud, no individual voices could be made out.

I grabbed Johnny's hand, unintentionally squeezing it to ward off my piercing headache. I couldn't hear much apart from the thump thump that sounded from the nerves in my brain.

"I'm sorry." I forced out. "I'm... trying."

Johnny looked down in concern. "(Y/N) go back now. You're hurting yourself!"

"You... need to .... see." As if reading my thoughts, the memory sped, skipping details but not ending yet.

A hand was pulled away. Johnny and Ruby.

The smoke persisted.

Everyone was just trying their best to get back home.

Desperation.

The soldiers barely cared - now, they were just trying to get as many on the Isle as possible, regardless of status.

Still no sight of Johnny or his family.

Then a big skip, and as the storm intensified, the divide was over and no one was left in the main areas - I looked up to see Carpet far in the distance. It'll cut off once younger me is entirely out of the vicinity.

This part was clearer this time since Johnny's memory remained here.

There he was.

The blond prince standing on the other side of the bridge that would soon be cut off.

Johnny was left behind on the Isle.

It must've happened to so many others. There's no way he was the only one.

But he was likely the only royal that was from such a high-profile story.

The memory cut blank at that last image of Johnny, and we were dizzyingly rushed back to our reality in Hook's Bay.

I felt better than last time - I could say that much. Knowing what to expect, my body wasn't in shock.

Still, I was being pulled to unconsciousness. I knew I had to fight it this time, but knowing so didn't make it any easier to do so. 

There it is, the "whole" picture - for Johnny, at least. 

Was this justified? Of course, there's still discussion to be had, but objectively, the events are known. 

I can imagine (y/n) is relieved that she and Harry won't need to sneak around Johnny anymore, but that doesn't mean that's it's going to be easy for any of them.

I have two finals left next week, and then I'll be done with my first semester of uni! Yayy!

(Heads up, I'm not sure if I will have my chapter ready for Friday next week, but I will definitely try my best to get it out on time :))

Hope you're having a good weekend!