Vicissitudes

Vicissitude:
1a: the quality or state of being changeable :

b: natural change or mutation visible in nature or in human affairs

2a: a favorable or unfavorable event or situation that occurs by chance : a fluctuation of state or condition the vicissitudes of daily life

b: a difficulty or hardship attendant on a way of life, a career, or a course of action and usually beyond one's control

c: alternating change :                     

Different definitions of vicissitude reflect situations over the course of the next few chapters... you can decide which you like best! (2a is the most fitting for this part imo)

The dialogue switches a lot between older (y/n) and Harry and their younger selves, I've done my best to make it clear but pay attention to those transitions!

Your POV

Opposite me was a boy of about 3, with brown-tinged out-of-control hair blowing in his face, the same grey-blue stare, and a smile that was unmistakable Harry's. There was a wooden sword that had been thrown off to his side in the sand, and he sat opposite me with a grin, the younger versions of ourselves in animated conversation with each other.

"Wha..Do you remember this?" I looked at Harry.

"I think I do - parts at least, now that I'm here. Like your clip."

"Who could miss that?" I pointed out, thinking the size of the thing to be ridiculous for a day at the beach. Mom must have insisted on representing Agrabah... or maybe this was Baba doing something crazy to joke around with Mom... I can't seem to remember anything.

He smiled. "It's adorable."

"Why don't I remember though? I remember other pieces, but not you..."

"It could take time." Harry shrugged. "Maybe-" He cut himself off as our younger selves' voices became more defined, and we sat in the sand next to ourselves to listen in.

"These are my sandcastle moulds. I don't know why I have ten when I really only need one. Here, you can try this one." 3-year-old (y/n) extended her tiny hand out with a blue castle mould.

"Wow, thanks." Little Harry took it and instantly began to fill it with the sand.

I noticed my younger self absent-mindedly filling the mould, getting impatient when the sand would fall apart instead of holding itself together. Needs more water, (y/n).

3 year old me glanced around, and her eyes widened. "Is that yours?"

Younger Harry was taken aback. "Yeah, the sword's mine."

"Cool." I took a second before continuing. "Can I hold it?"

"Sure." Harry handed the wooden sword to younger me.

"Wow." I swung it around in the air sloppily. "Awesome."

"I only have one, we need two to play." Younger Harry sighed.

"Oh." It seems like I was never good at masking disappointment.

"But we could try with this." He ran over to a nearby broken tree branch and returned with it in his hand.

"Here, you can have it back." 3-year-old (y/n) offered.

"No, you can use it. I'm bored of that anyway."

"Okay!" Little me giggled and began to fight with him. We sparred back and forth, running - occasionally stumbling, but getting back up instantly - all over the beach, between blankets and umbrellas, parents and children.