200: I'm Thinking Of You All The While

Damon moved into the hospital room, pacing around the space until he heard a noise behind the window.

Kai was stumbling around, pale skin, an infected wound on his neck, confused about why he wasn't healing. Out of the wound, there was the flicker of something. Moving beneath the skin like a vein about to burst - but there was too much life in it to be a vein.

Through the glass, he looked at Damon, "What's happening to me?"

"Oh," Damon responded sarcastically, "You didn't happen to pet a fuzzy, four-legged vampire-killing machine, did you?"

Kai's demeanour became serious, "How do I fix it?"

"Funny thing about that," Damon was too stressed to enjoy the irony, "That girl you just killed?"

Kai narrowed his eyes.

"The cure's in her home city – New Orleans," He spelt it out, "And the guy who can give it to you?"

More and more irony.

"Will rip your head off for touching his witch."

Damon knew there was no chance of Klaus giving them the cure if he thought MJ was dead, MJ's Mystic Falls stash empty since they hadn't had a werewolf to worry about since the collapse of The Other Side.

"She'll wake up," Kai dismissed, nails clawing at the wound, "And she'll thank me."

"We'll see."

Most people in Mystic Falls thought MJ would never transition.

Caroline, Stefan, and Ty were the only three who knew she'd been planning to do it before Kol's first death, making the situation more painful. Kai had been the one to turn her.

...Her sire?

"But there's another way," Damon added carefully, "MJ has a second way that I can tell you all about if you tell me what you did to Elena."

Kai shook his head, "I - I - "

His neck craned to the side in a sudden movement, gagging out a scream.

Kai's nails fully dug into the bite, yanking the skin off like it was nothing, relief flooding his features as an infestation of woodlice crawled to life, swarming over the flesh, wriggling under clothes to get to the floor.

Damon could just watch, piecing it together while Kai caught his breath.

"You took the magic."

"I took the magic," His face was even paler than before, showing blue lines on his neck, "It doesn't heal me."

He wasn't a Floare.

"You're gonna tell me how to."

"You're gonna tell me how to heal Elena."

"No."

Damon rushed at him, pinning him up and getting in his face, finally reminding Kai that the invincible feeling he'd woken up with had a limit. The bite was ruining his high. The bite made someone like Damon a potential threat.

He wanted to get back to feeling unstoppable.

"One thing you're not gonna do?" Damon roared, "You're not gonna mess with me."

He hit Kai's head back.

"I am in a very volatile place right now, and I will start beheading people that I don't like, starting with you, if she," He pointed to Elena for emphasis, "Doesn't wake up."

Kai's eyes started to glaze over, lashes flickering, opening wider more crawlers starting to poke their heads through, trying to escape drowning in the blood they'd caused.