140: A Closer Walk With Thee

- Remember to comment and vote xx

There was a day of nothing after Kieran's death to give Cami some time to sleep before the funeral. During that day, MJ got to work. She took Esther's version of the moonlight rings and the version she'd made for Tyler, writing the new spell, aiming to give the wolves control over their shifting without tying it to anybody.

...She may have also written in a failsafe of sorts.

The rings would null them slightly. MJ didn't actually want rabid dogs running through The Quarter biting every vampire in sight, so the cap would help balance out the anger issues.

Once the spell was written, MJ had gone to the spell book she'd been crafting for herself over the past two years and rewrote it twice. One copy for her collection and one she ripped out and put inside of Esther's Grimoire, next to the original version of the spell, so it was safe. Copies were a lifesaver.

Then she'd gone out for a slight celebration with Diego since it was music night at Lafayette Square.

She couldn't explain why she was in a decent mood considering Diego wouldn't be okay with the rings, so she claimed it was just her need for a night off after the Kieran-hex-siphoning exhaustion.

The next morning MJ found herself in the Lycée, searching for Esther's Grimoire.

She didn't know why she thought it was there, but something in her stomach was just screaming that it was, despite the fact the rational part of her brain knew it was protected by fifty million charms at The Compound.

The Lycée was filled with plants in tubs and troughs, but there were an abnormal amount of roses Davina had grown still poking through the stone floor and hanging over the windows. Lilies and special types of daisies creating an enclave for her to spin in the centre of, basking in the life it all radiated.

There was also a tea set in the centre of the table.

MJ stilled by the tea.

She walked closer, staring at the two empty cups and the pot, her hand moving on its own, pouring the tea and then turning the cups on the saucers like she was waiting for someone to join her. MJ's first thought was Davina. Who else would she be in the Lycée to see?

Then she remembered she was supposed to be searching for a Grimoire she already knew the location of.

MJ's eye got caught on the hot water, watching a few leaves swirl, water becoming a light brown colour, her reflection on the surface.

Her face smiling up at her.

Watching two hands clasp onto her temples as she screamed.

It was like MJ's brain had been stabbed then held over a roaring fire to melt like a marshmallow, desperately struggling to stomp on the person's feet and free herself, knees hitting the floor and scrambling away when she succeeded.

MJ turned to look up as she moved.

Esther was standing over her.

MJ shoved up, hand going forward, telekinetically chucking her through the glass wall, ready for a fight.

Then she woke up.

She was panting, in her own bed, in her apartment.

She was safe.

MJ rubbed her eyes and forced herself to calm down.

Esther had been consecrated, meaning she was on the ancestral plane, and MJ had chosen to make herself an elder. She knew a haunting would happen eventually; she'd just hoped Esther would be bored of hounding the living after a thousand years of death already.