184: The Day Has an Uneasy Alliance

a/n: oh my lord, last chapter got so many comments and votes - I love you guys so much xxxx Bea

MJ had had an interesting few days following her ascension into witch society. Her residency in The Mikaelson Compound was accepted by most, even if Freya seemed to be avoiding her.

Freya wasn't the only one 'avoiding' her.

MJ had woken up in Klaus's bed feeling incredibly weird, somewhat deciding never again, and going to find Kol to explain herself. Except, he hadn't been in The Compound.

Instantly, the anxiety kicked in. But, he responded to her text quickly, explaining that he was at The Cemetery with Davina.

He was safe.

She could breathe out.

They ran into each other, but, Kol was giving her space. It hurt, but, it was what MJ had asked him to do.

And, after the ceremony, she couldn't really blame him for dodging her. MJ had been so explicitly flirty almost instantly after establishing that she didn't want to start their relationship again. It was a shitty move and she knew it.

MJ wanted to apologise, but he was keeping himself out of The Compound, so she could either do it by text, which felt like a cop-out, or keep putting it off.

Since then, Klaus had continued to come into her room each night, set her off, then leave her to sleep alone. Which, actually did make her feel a little better. MJ could take the moment to relax and embrace sleep again, no one in danger. No one else in bed with her either. Being alone in a bed for the first time in what felt like a long time.

The funniest 'why haven't I seen Kol today' was when MJ had been getting breakfast, and he'd been leaving to meet up with Sam of all people.

A quick text to the hybrid in question then revealed that Kol had gotten his number off Davina and asked for a tour of the modern music scene. Sam and MJ had planned to go to a bunch of things together the previous year, she'd just ended up going with Diego instead.

Sam was a music guy, Kol was a music guy...

It shouldn't have been that surprising that they'd found common ground, MJ was just a little too used to having to force bonding between people who weren't naturally inclined to be nice to each other.

She was also used to Kol being snarky with everyone who didn't have an immediate purpose.

And there was the distaste Sam held towards The Mikaelson's that made the idea a little surprising.

Then again, Kol had technically been the one to force feed him the antidote to save him from Eva's attack. Sam probably thought he owed him one. And he had told MJ he'd be welcoming to Kol to make her life easier pre-wedding.

Kol was socialising...

MJ smiled every time she thought about it.

Then she'd experienced her first *jazz hands* elder meeting

Which was a whole thing on its own.

It was held at Jo's house, it had all the official elders from the eight other covens, and MJ tried not to let herself panic too much. She put on a the mask of the person she'd been a year prior, and let it carry her. If she did that enough times, hopefully the mask would just become her face.

"Today's meeting is to discuss the future of the city," Jo sat in her throne chair, everyone else littered about the room, most sitting too.

MJ had arrived early, and Jo had demanded she sat on her left side.