170: The Devil Is Damned

TW: MJ is a little too happy to use a knife on herself sometimes

When MJ had finished editing Marcel's recollection of their conversation, she left him to sleep it off, heading down the stairs to find Kol leaning against the wall. He seemed surprisingly battered, hair messy and breathing heavy.

She couldn't see any signs of injury from the vampire rescue, but she didn't like it.

"You okay?"

He swallowed, clearing his throat, then nodding, "Yeah."

"You sure?"

"You're the one who probably needs a magic top-up," He dodged.

She forced a smile, "You're not wrong."

He was hiding something.

Or maybe he was just annoyed at her for asking him to leave.

MJ was hiding something important from him, and though Hope was the best reason to keep quiet, it didn't mean she had to like it, and it didn't mean he couldn't be upset.

"Marcel wasn't corrupted, which is good," She had a careful grip on the glass of Sam's blood, "His mind's a mess, though. Stressful few days."

Kol didn't respond.

Or move.

MJ stretched out the free hand to let him take it, but he didn't.

He just pushed off the wall and started walking.

She quickly moved to his side, "I'm sorry for asking you to leave, it was just -"

"I get it," He nodded, eyes locked on the floor, "You needed to do your thing."

Her phone beeped with a text.

Klaus.

A tiny bit of weight lifted from her shoulders.

"And your brother decided not to kill Jackson!"

Kol chuckled, "I see Elijah's converted you to the Klaus-Redemption campaign."

"More, a campaign for people to get to be happy," She justified, "Which includes us."

Kol let himself look up from the pavement, "You're happy here? In New Orleans?"

"Yeah," She nodded, "I missed it. So much."

Both of their eyes looked around at the hustle and bustle.

"Being back last year was perfect, and being here with you is even better than that," She bit her lip, "I still think a holiday house in Italy would be nice. And we could definitely spend a few months in your old favourite spots – or, maybe, alternate between living here for a year, then living abroad? Work out what feels best."

Kol couldn't tell her.

Not until he'd looked into whether he was really about to die.

There was a massive problem with that plan.

One Kol wasn't sure how to deal with.

MJ would notice he was hexed if she touched him, which meant, as she drifted towards him, he had to subtly step away. Subtly. It's impossible to subtly avoid someone when all they want to do is be with you, her eyes pinned on his movements.

When they got back to the apartment, she instantly headed to bed, ready to fall asleep the second she was lying down. But Kol wasn't following suit.

He was standing by the desk, looking at something.

"I really am sorry," MJ repeated carefully, sitting up against the pillow, "You know I trust you – "