169: Sanctuary

a/n: Please remember to comment and vote xx

Sam and MJ had split up from the others despite Kol's 'subtle' protests, making what felt like a polite conversation. MJ had missed her friends, so she didn't really want there to be underlying tension, especially when she didn't think she'd done anything wrong. Sam and she had always been on the same wavelength, and there hadn't been any weird vibes until they left, so she really didn't have a clue what she could've done wrong by walking out of a door.

"Are you gonna tell me what's up?" She finally asked, "Or am I supposed to figure it out?"

"Will you have time to figure it out with all the Mikaelson Family wars?"

She blinked rapidly, "What?"

"Just," He was staring ahead, "Where did you go after you left us that first day?"

MJ hadn't realised Sam would've known about her leaving with Klaus and Hayley, considering he hadn't been involved with the Esther takedown situation. Then again, when Hayley had come back, she'd probably mentioned that she'd 'been with MJ.' And, he had been there when she'd promised Aiden that Esther would be dealt with swiftly.

"Why does it matter?"

"You rush off to deal with a guy you apparently dated," He started slow, "Who we didn't have a clue about."

When they'd been in the middle of a group friend moment.

"You don't come back because you apparently left town with Klaus and Hayley, then Esther's no longer a problem."

"I said she would be."

He sighed, "I know you said that."

Silence.

She cleared her throat, "Sam?"

Nothing.

"Sam."

He bit his lip to try and stop himself from talking.

"For god's sake, dude - "

"Why do you do this to yourself?"

She stopped walking.

The question didn't quite compute in her brain.

"When I met you, you were looking for your dad. And helping find werewolves for Hayley – and, I get that you can't talk to your dad. I get something happened with your brother too – but just because your family's kinda fallen apart doesn't mean you should just join the Mikaelson's."

"Just join?" She genuinely couldn't follow the line of thinking, "Sam, I came to New Orleans with Klaus."

"With Klaus," He repeated, "And you're with this one. Kaleb, or Kol, or whatever he's going by – "

"You knew Klaus and I weren't together."

"True," He nodded, "You weren't together. He just played on the type of person you were."

MJ was getting really sick of people telling her about her own relationships.

Her life was no one's business but her own.

She kept her voice level, "He didn't."

"He did," Sam said firmly, "Klaus plays on the fact you're a nice person who wants to forgive people, to get himself unlimited second chances. And you don't even notice that it's manipulative."

"You don't know the history."

"All I need to know is that you literally died."

Since she'd come back so quickly, MJ wasn't sure it should count as death.