195: Which World To Belong To

APRIL 2013

"MJ," Emily Peterson called, walking out of a large glass office towards MJ's desk in the open office, "Where have you been?"

MJ frowned, "Photographing the cycling campaign for Instagram."

"You were what?"

Emily was technically her boss. MJ was back as a photojournalist and a member of the advertising team, while Emily was the content manager. It might not have been the head of the department, but did mean she was in charge of managing the photographers for the digital 'paper.'

"Photographing the cycling campaign for Instagram," She lifted her phone, "It's on the calendar."

"It's not."

MJ wasn't trying to be rude, but she was right, "It is."

"Hm," Emily pulled her phone out, opening her calendar and showing her the day, "Where?"

It was filled with things, none of which were a blue colour, and none were which said 'cycling campaign w/Ruiz.'

"Emily."

"Yeah?"

"You have Social Media Only Events flipped off."

Emily paused.

She looked at her screen.

She realised MJ was right; the tiny box that usually showed a colour and a tick had been unclicked, meaning she hadn't seen any of the timetables for the week when it came to the content they'd be releasing only on social media.

It was a new section on the calendar, teaching MJ why 'proficient on Outlook' was a skill stressed on job applications.

Emily's eyes went wide in panic.

"Don't worry about it," MJ put her hands up, "I took pictures for the article, already posted the celebratory 'before-slash-start' photos, action shots, and I have time in lunch to go back and get 'after' ones too. I finished designing the new Twitter banner and will send it to you when I send it to Joel."

Their Chief Marketing Officer.

"I've also moved photo suggestions for the rest of the week on Instagram into the dropbox so everyone who needs to approve them can - though," She tilted her head, "It's such a long-winded process, shouldn't there be someone to just post them?"

Emily shifted, "That's meant to be Yasmine's job..."

"...Oh," MJ hesitated, "Is she gonna be mad I jumped the gun?"

"She can't do Instagram," Emily sighed, "That wasn't a critique on you; that was just letting you know that she's meant to do it."

"But someone else always does. And it always takes three stamps of approval."

"Like I said," She glanced about, "Yas can't do Instagram."

"She's the director of social media - "

Emily put a hand up, "Bring it up with her."

MJ took a beat, then nodded.

"I was looking for you," Emily went back into 'annoyed at her' mode, "Please don't tell me you did all that instead of - "

"I sent the finished pictures of the Reese shoot to Adam. You haven't been given the favourite yets because he decided to let the interns pick. Testing to see who he wants to keep around when he gets the new applicants at the end of the month."

Emily groaned, "Of course he did."

"Abby has a test group, so they were hijacked by her - "

"i.e. I'm not gonna get the favourite until midnight."