145: I'll Remember

As they entered the town square, Damon was fiddling with his mouth.

"The fangs are still there," He reminded them, "Either I'm a dead vampire..."

They turned into the main roads, lights on all across town, like it was a regular night in Mystic Falls.

"Or Mystic Falls is no longer magic free."

"If you were dead," MJ couldn't get her voice to go above a certain volume, "Your blood wouldn't've healed me."

Bonnie was supporting her as they walked, gravity not being MJ's friend after performing an act of magic that huge, but the blood was doing something. The blood or the magic. MJ knew that if they were alive – if she'd really sent them back to the realm of the living, the magic in her body wouldn't let her die unless it was instantaneous. She knew from her mum's life that the magic kept you alive to return it.

But not letting her die and healing her up properly were two different things.

"Look," Bonnie pointed to the Mystic Grill.

Damon frowned, "You definitely blew that up about an hour ago."

"Why don't we see any people?" Bonnie scanned, "If we're still on The Other Side, we should at least be able to see the living."

As she turned to take everything in, MJ had to too, and her brain woke up just a little.

She'd failed?

"No," She closed her eyes to feel for anything, "There's...we're..."

"Where the hell are we?" Damon's voice went gruff, "And I don't mean geographically."

"I have no idea," Bonnie admitted, "MJ?"

"I," She didn't have an answer, "I thought I did it."

Her breathing picked up.

"What?"

She tried to process what was going on.

"The Grill," She stared at the cars around them, "These..."

Doing the maths based on dates in her head was stressing her out.

"A cohesive sentence would be appreciated," Damon was tapping his hand.

"I don't know what I did!" Her eyes went wide, "I thought – no...okay, wait."

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

She checked her pocket.

She'd decided not to bring her phone with her to The Other Side, and it hadn't reappeared.

"Damon, do you have your phone on you?"

"What?"

"You're phone?"

"Why would I have my phone?"

"Everything you had on you when you died comes with you," She explained.

He patted his pockets until he hit it, pulling it out.

MJ snatched it, dialling Caroline's number.

It didn't even ring.

There was just a disconnect noise, like the number she was trying to call didn't exist.

"What?" MJ needed it to make sense.

"Come on," Bonnie prompted, "Let's just keep looking."

She didn't have the energy to keep looking.