158: Thoughts That Echo Your Name

a/n: I just found out my IB results and that I got into Uni so even though I don't know how I feel about this chapter, I'm impulse posting lol

"So," Marcel broke the silence, "Where's Hayley?"

"Bayou," MJ was spreading a mixture of salt, sand, and herbs around the hourglass in the courtyard, "Werewolf stuff."

Her honesty complex was going to take a backseat until Hope was safe.

If Klaus and Hayley wanted her to be a secret, MJ had to respect that.

"And Esther trying to kill you?"

"She decided I needed to die," MJ summed up, "Because she got a feeling that I would break Klaus's curse."

"Didn't Klaus force you to do that?"

"Esther didn't care about the fine print."

Marcel pulled a face.

"The fact I did it, and the fact I made it worse by working out how to make hybrids," Her voice trailed a little, "It got me even higher on her hit list."

"So you've never actually done anything wrong?" Davina clarified, "To her?"

"Nope," She confirmed, "Every time I meet her, she tries to kill me. And she's the reason my guardian died, and in the grand scheme, I've kinda done nothing wrong...well, eh, at this point, I am helping Klaus of my own free will...so it's a little more justified distaste?"

"And yet," Marcel crossed his arms, "You're still hanging around the Mikaelson's."

"You're still trying to be one," She retorted, "So, no place to judge."

"I'm not trying to be one."

"Mmm."

"I'm not."

"Defences down, please," She paused her set-up and gave him a look, "You've clearly had a day."

"It's called a sire-line," Marcel was not happy, "I can't risk Klaus screwing up, so I help him out – I assumed you would've got that considering you're the girl who figured the whole link-thing out."

"Sorry I said anything," She put her hands up, going back to Davina and Cami, "Kol will link the hourglass to Esther's."

Cami needed to understand what was going on if she was expected to relax.

"Ours will mirror hers."

She turned it upside down.

None of the sand moved, waiting for the connected one to tell it what to do.

"When the last sand falls – " She fought off a yawn, "Esther will try to jump Bex into your body."

The lack of sleep was starting to get to her.

"I will stop her while Davina casts a protection charm on your head."

"Why do we need the protection spell if you're already redirecting it?"

"It keeps you safe from anything else Esther might try while MJ's blocking her," Davina answered, the Floare spell in front of her.

She'd been looking at it all day to make sure she got it right.

Magic was tricky.

There were two types of Floare spells. Those that could only be used by Floare, and those based on Floare magic. MJ couldn't do either while the magic was messing with her, but she could teach Davina to do the second type – which was precisely what they needed.