194: Within The Divided Household

a/n: so...Im probs gonna vanish for like two and a half weeks (exams and filming stoof) but 195/196 are some of my fave interlude chapters

I know 196 is gonna be some people's fave lol

So if this chapter gets decent engagement lol I'll update again tomorrow (then vanish)
- Bea <3

APRIL 2013

There was a rapid knock on the apartment door.

The place was slowly coming together around MJ and Josh, but it wasn't completely furnished. Her bed was new, big, and comfy; a creamy yellow blanket under MJ's body, a rainbow throw rug around her shoulders as she groaned. It was around midnight, which wasn't that late, but she'd started monitoring her sleep again, so the noise was not ideal.

Still, it grew louder until a massive crash replaced it.

Silence.

MJ slowly sat up.

"Um..." Josh called up, "MJ!"

"Yeah?"

"You have a visitor," He sounded nervous, so MJ quickly crawled out of bed.

Her pyjamas were sweat pants and a loose crop top, and the way Josh was talking had her too concerned to change, brushing sleep out of her eyes while heading down the stairs to the rest of the apartment.

The majority was open plan, MJ able to still at the bottom of the stairs and see the sight.

Kol standing behind a doorway instead of a door.

Door on the floor.

A bit of the wall cracked and crumbled, giving a clear view of the gallery's stairway.

"Oh my god."

His shirt had blood covering the entire front, hair messy, lips stained too, lines of darkness creeping around his eyes.

"Mira."

She looked to Josh, wearing a blanket over his shoulders, bags under his own eyes, just looking between the pair with a cup of hot chocolate in his hands, having been on the sofa t when the Original had arrived.

"I'll – I've got this," She nodded to Josh, "Blood bag stash?"

"I've got stuff in my room, then the stock in the fridge."

"You mind if I raid it?"

"All yours," He nodded, backing up a little, "If...if you need anything?"

"I'll shout."

He continued staring at the pair as he retreated towards his room, somewhat loitering, torn between knowing MJ could handle it and not trusting Kol's appearance. It wasn't even about Kol. No one with any sense would leave a human alone with a vampire covered in blood and about to shift.

MJ opted to ignore his watchful presence and focus on Kol.

"Hey," She softened her tone, "What happened?"

As his mouth opened, his eyes turned redder, so MJ stepped forward, hand lifting, letting the shift in the air show she was using magic. A spell to bring the bloodlust down as smoothly as possible.

He breathed out in thanks, "Can I...?"

"Yeah," A slight nod, "Kol, you can come in."

Since the door was already broken, he could stumble forward, past the threshold, showing MJ just how shaky he was, fingers unable to still, eyes turning even redder the closer he got to her despite the spell. It was Kol. He needed to think she was okay, or he'd panic, and whatever was going on would get worse.