142: Promised Land

- Remember to comment and vote xx

1999

"Have you ever met Grandma?" MJ asked Ryos.

They were sitting in the back of the flower shop, eating lunch.

Their mum was talking to someone in the front, and they were only there because it'd been a half day for schools. They'd originally planned on going home, but their dad had been called by his brother. The pair had been talking for an hour or two and needed the space.

Their father had passed away, and their mother had refused to tell MJ's dad about it.

"Nope."

"Why aren't we allowed to meet her?"

"No clue," Ryos went a little quieter, "Dad was crying..."

MJ looked down, feeling guilty, "I know."

"I've never seen him cry before."

"Neither," She started to fiddle with the housekeys their mum had left on the table, "What do we do?"

"We don't do anything."

"We need to do something," MJ frowned, "Whenever we cry, dad cheer's us up."

"Yeah, because he's dad," Ryos shrugged, "He always knows the right thing to say."

Incredibly true.

"What are we meant to do?"

MJ didn't know.

She didn't understand her dad's family. She'd never even met any of them, and her Uncle was the only person who'd ever had anything to do with them. They were planning a holiday to visit him at some point.

"Can we make a promise?" She held her pinkie finger out.

He took it, "About what?"

"If you ever die, I don't wanna find out about it over the phone."

"You do know we don't get to pick how we die, right?"

She slumped a little.

"Hey," Ryos tapped her chin, "I promise that you won't find out about it over the phone. I'll be old and wrinkly and in a gross hospital bed."

"Stop!" She complained, "I don't wanna think about you dying!"

"You started the conversation!"

"Yeah, as a simple yes question! Not a storytime idea!"

He completely messed up her hair, "It's not like you have anything to worry about."

She gave him a look.

"We're kids. Neither of us are gonna die anytime soon."

"Why are you two talking about when you're gonna die?" Their mum walked into the room, pulling a disgusted face.

They didn't respond.

"Death is..." She shook her head, "Death is a natural part of life, but – "

She managed a smile.

"If I have any say in it, neither of you are going to die."

Ryos stuck his tongue out, "I don't wanna be a vampire."

"You're not gonna be a vampire," Ana laughed, "I just meant, nothing's gonna hurt either of you as long as I'm around, which means you don't have anything to worry about."

And their mother screamed indestructible, from the way she moved to the way she talked.

"Your grandfather was old, and death was the next step for him, but you?"