166: Prayer For The Dying

a/n: I published a cut scene book for MJ called Tales For The Time Being. It'll be Kora, MJ x Klaus, MJ x Katherine, etc shorts <3
Check out the first chapter and contribute thoughts :)
- Bea xx (this chapter is messyTM)

~***~

"You should've just told us who you were," Tyler was on the floor, rested against the sofa, eyes half-closed, "When you saw us in New Orleans."

"Here I thought you'd forgotten about that."

The pair of them had been together for most of the evening, and Kol was confident Tyler was doing it to play guard. Not of MJ, but of him. Maybe to limit his ability to just murder Elena, possibly to help him feel 'accepted' – either way, Kol was oddly appreciative of the gesture. He knew he'd have to get to know Tyler eventually, but he hadn't exactly been looking forward to it. Now, it was done and dusted.

Caroline and Stefan had come back with food, quizzing him on the finer details of what MJ had done while they ate. Then, Kol had managed a 'casual' conversation with Stefan.

They'd left again, him returning to Tyler.

"I'm happy I didn't."

Tyler pulled a face, "I wouldn't have been such a dick about the car if I'd known it was you."

"But," Kol lifted a finger, "You would've told me that MJ had passed – and I might've murdered you on instinct."

"And now I'm happy you didn't tell us."

Kol grinned, "Kidding."

"Sure you are."

"Mortality has come with side effects," He lamented, "When I actually found out, I went into a slump of sorts – really riled my mother up since she would've preferred for me to be angry."

"Slump?"

"My girlfriend was dead," Kol repeated, "The expected murderous rage only clicked in when I saw Klaus...instead, I was forced to deal with a pathetic emptiness."

"Grief."

"I'm aware of what it's called," He rolled his eyes, "My title for it is simply better."

Tyler fought off a smile, "MJ said your mum was locked up in a tomb?"

"Trapped as a vampire," He confirmed, "MJ 'has dibs' on mental torture before we off her."

"I'm just gonna pretend I don't know that."

Kol raised an eyebrow.

"I don't wanna think about her doing that at the moment," He shrugged, "Seems like a bad idea while her head's not right."

"Her head's fine."

Tyler didn't look convinced.

"She's somewhat traumatised," Kol wouldn't deny that, "But she's getting better – so, in a few weeks, she can have at it."

"Okay."

Kol shifted up on the coffee table, "That sounded fake."

"I don't know," Tyler was about to dose off, filter low, "She's not gonna be fine in a few weeks."

"She'll be in New Orleans, with me," Kol smiled, "She'll get better."

Tyler just swallowed, "I hope you're right."

"Have some faith."

"I have a lot of faith in her," He glanced at MJ's face, "But she killed herself. I'm not gonna set myself up for something bad to happen by being optimistic and 'ignoring' the negative signs."