180: Whom We Appear to Be

MARCH 2000

"You're in the wrong room."

One phrase and the fifteen-year-old Vincent Griffith almost jumped out of his skin, spinning around to face the person who'd caught him. He'd known there was an incredibly high chance Ana Ruiz would have protection charms up, meaning she'd probably know he'd been there, but being faced by an eleven-year-old wasn't something he'd come prepped to deal with.

The boy's features did have something in common with his mum, but if Vincent hadn't spent classes with Ana, he wouldn't have been able to notice.

Still, Ryos Floare-Ruiz.

Vincent had never actually spoken to either of the children the elders had been watching like hawks before.

None of the city witches really had.

"Assuming you're looking for the Grimoire my mum used this week," Ryos walked further into the flower shop's backroom, "She'd never just leave her things somewhere so obvious."

"The spell says they're here," Vincent defended, motioning to a map he'd left on a storage self.

Ryos smiled to himself, eyeing up the sheet.

Vincent really looked at him.

The reason none of them had ever spoken to the kids was because they supposedly didn't have the gift. Their mum was a powerhouse of experience, and yet...two completely talentless children?

It just didn't click in Vincent's head.

He knew Ana was a Floare, so he knew their magic and inheritance worked a little different, but it was all too convenient, and he wasn't an idiot. Not that he thought his elders were idiots either, he just thought they were more focused on what Ana brought to the table when it came to the turf war with the vampires than her blatant lying.

Her lessons were the best, so Vincent let it slide too, but now?

"What do you know?" He couldn't help but ask.

"That your jank-ass tracking spell isn't gonna show you shit."

"Aren't you a little young to talk like that?"

"You're only four years older than me," Ryos shrugged, "And that's how my mum would've phrased it."

Vincent half-smiled in agreement. Ana did always have a bluntness to her when insulting coven magic around the older kids.

"You're trying to track a book," He tapped the sheet, "Some spell where you think about it while chanting isn't going to take you to a book."

"It's worked before."

"Let me guess," Ryos pointed at him, "You've found New Orleans books with it."

"Duh."

"This is Floare stuff," He stressed, "It's not gonna lead an outsider to it just 'cos you think so hard you look constipated."

And Vincent rolled his eyes.

"And," Ryos kept his confidence up, "Even if you could find it? Mum's spelled them all shut. Only she can open them."

"Perfect," He sighed.

"If it makes you feel better, I hijacked your spell too."

Vincent's eyes went wide.

"Felt someone trying to pull on it, so gave the protection charm a little boost," He motioned out, "How else would I have known you were here?"

A beat.