162: Brotherhood of the Damned

a/n: Kora cringe lol. It's a honeymoon phase, MJ's an emotional nightmare, Kol's insecure, i.e. the types to be clingy until they have a moment to settle.

Also!
I have work every day for the next three weeks. I will try to update, but it will be less regular, and I might fail if I'm too tired. Sorry in advance (remember to comment and vote - Bea xx)

A phone beeping during the car ride had MJ forcing herself to calm down.

A calendar reminder.

Her doctor's appointment.

"Shit."

Ric pointed out that she could always reschedule it, but MJ wasn't about to let that happen. She wanted her jabs, she wanted to be cleared (responsible for herself again), and she wanted everything connected to the fact she'd had two types of surgery in one night to be over with it.

Oddly enough, MJ was picked up from the appointment and driven 'home' by Jo, Ric collecting takeout for the three of them.

Stepping through his new apartment door, she finally felt it all.

The need to curl up under a duvet cover and never move again.

So that's what she did, on the sofa in the living room, using Tyler's jersey as a duvet since overheating was the last thing she needed. MJ could smell it again. The way her body probably needed a shower, but she didn't have the energy to wash yet, trying to limit her ability to sweat to put it off for a few more hours.

Whatever.

She was wrapped up on the sofa, staring at the off TV.

It was weird to look at modern devices again.

"So..." Jo sat down carefully, her legs retracting into her chest, "I guess you're feeling a little tired."

"Yeah."

"Normal tired or concerning?"

She breathed in slowly, "Probably concerning."

Jo just nodded in acceptance.

She really looked at MJ.

"Would you feel comfortable with me rubbing your leg?"

"That would be nice."

It was a gentle and reassuring stroke up and down her knee.

"Kai's out there."

"He is."

"I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologising?"

"I don't really know..." MJ admitted, "For not just going lone wolf and handling it this morning."

"That's completely okay."

"I had a panic attack earlier."

"Ric texted."

"I'm sorry for crashing into your relationship," She changed points, "I'm not trying to be dead weight or cause any tension, but I feel like I am."

"You're not."

"Your boyfriend is aggressively arguing with me every five seconds because I blew myself up. If that's not causing some kind of tension, I...I – I don't even know."

"Well," Jo considered that, "I'm not exactly a fan of how he's handling it."

MJ sat up a little.

"But it's very easy to judge when you're outside of the situation," She spoke what MJ had kinda been thinking to justify where he was coming from, "And I'm choosing to focus on how much he cares about you. And how I can help counter the...less-than-stellar moments, rather than overstepping."