146: The Rebirth Via Yellow Ledbetter

a/n: Every scene in this has relevancy to MJ, even if it's not clear at the start :)

Caroline and Ric were having breakfast again, sitting at their usual table and discussing the bombshell Elena had dropped on everyone. Stefan had picked up the phone when she'd called him, after nearly five months of not talking to anyone, revealing that he'd given up trying to get Damon, MJ, and Bonnie back.

"You said that Stefan was looking for a way to bring them back," Caroline fumed.

"I thought he was," Ric defended, "I've been feeding him leads for months. He let me believe he was following them."

"Well, I've been a little focused on magic bubble duty. And as you can see by the lack of magic in Mystic Falls, it's been a spectacular fail of a mission," She ranted, "And now you're telling me that this, whole, time, no one has been doing anything to help Bonnie, MJ, and Damon?"

Ric glanced down.

She sifted up, "What?"

"...I wouldn't say no one."

Lorenzo St John was in a hotel closet, hands moving up and down his latest lead as he began to kiss her neck, listening to her moan and pulling her closer.

"Oh," He whispered, "Just lay it down."

"I don't know anything."

"You witches are also monstrously secretive," He pulled her shirt up, "Lucky for me...I'm quite gifted at unravelling the truth."

He sunk lower, kissing her bra and moving to his knees.

"There's a coven in Oregon," She mumbled out, "They'd found a way to communicate with their ancestors before it went away."

He smiled while running his nose down her stomach to kiss at the top of her jeans.

"Maybe they know what happened to your friends," She watched as he came back to suck in the middle of her cleavage, "They call themselves the Gemini Coven."

A phrase that clocked his attention.

"They're small and weird, and they don't like outsiders."

"See?" He looked up, "You did know something."

"I just wanted you to work for it."

He stood slowly, looking down at her before kissing her passionately, her hands running through his hair.

Caroline cleared her throat behind them.

"Ha, ha," Enzo turned to face her, "Well, well, well, there's a blast from the past."

Caroline couldn't help but smile back at him.

"Hello gorgeous."

Leaving the witch behind, they climbed into Enzo's car, catching each other up on what they'd been doing as the only productive members of the team. Enzo wasn't really on the team, not bothered about the Traveller's bubble outside of it being a way to potentially kill him. Caroline's focus of the day was getting her friends back from the dead now she knew Stefan had been playing them a little, so she could ignore that part for a bit.

During the drive, Caroline received a phone call from Elena explaining her new strategy to cope with Damon's death now she'd been cut off from Luke's herbs.

She was erasing her memories of Damon.

A plan Caroline didn't like in the slightest and happily told Elena so.

"You're the last person who I thought would object to me erasing positive memories of Damon from my head."

"Yeah, but we're literally chasing a lead," Caroline held her phone tightly, "What if we find something out?"