139: An Unblinking Death

- Remember to comment and vote xx

It was the end of April, and it had been an odd two months in Mystic Falls.

Ryos had given his spell to Bonnie so she could read it over, Jeremy giving a copy to Liv to look at it too. Both had reluctantly admitted that the spell made sense. Ryos had written a way to break the Traveller's Curse that didn't involve sacrificing MJ, which meant, against better judgement, they'd held off on passing along Kol's warning.

Bonnie had tried to mention that she thought Ryos was bad for her in their chats, but every time she'd bring him up, MJ didn't want to talk about him.

Was that a sign she was breaking away from him?

The only reason Jeremy hadn't just told her that Kol thought Ryos was trying to kill her himself, which was what he wanted to do, was because Tyler had talked him down. Tyler was the person who cared about MJ the most, so if he was saying they shouldn't pass the message on, Jeremy was slightly more willing to agree.

Elena and Stefan were sitting in one of Whitmore's Bars during the day, studying.

"Breakfast, Professor Salvatore?" Elena pushed the plate of croissants towards him.

"Oh, no, no, no, no," He batted her away, "I see what you're doing."

"What am I doing?"

"Distraction tactics," He picked up a flashcard, "Stay focused – So psychology, sociology, and anthropology share the assumption that – "

"Scientific methods can be used to understand human behaviour," She answered easily.

"That's very good, as in verbatim," He closed the textbook while she took a sip of some coffee, "Which means that I need to ask you more difficult questions."

He changed flashcard piles while she laughed, surprised he'd prepped another set.

They shared a smile.

"Thank you," Elena said before he could start reading the next question.

"For what?"

"Volunteering to help me study," She gripped the textbook like a pillow, "After Damon declared that we can't be friends and that he never wants to see my face again..."

She sighed and released the book slightly.

"Speaking of distracting tactics."

"You're welcome."

"Hey," Bonnie rushed in, dumping her bag on a chair, "I'm sorry I'm late. What did I miss?"

"Just that Stefan's the tutor from hell."

"Unkind," He smiled, "Take that back."

"Actually," Elena focused on her best friend, "I'm surprised that you're up for studying, you know, considering..."

"Considering?"

"The Other Side...Falling apart," Elena stage whispered to Stefan, "She's in denial."

"I see," He nodded.

"I'm not in denial," Bonnie took a seat, "The Other Side is disintegrating. As the anchor to The Other Side, I'm only alive as long as there is an Other Side."

She spelt it out.

"I'm perfectly aware of the threat of my impending death," She had spent four months already dead, "There is nothing I can do about it."

Not completely true.

"It's called acceptance. The fifth stage of grief," Bonnie took a bite of the food, "Look it up, tutor guy."