chapter 54: Glee, Actually (AU)

In another life,
I would be your girl.
We'd keep all our promises,
be us against the world.

~Katy Perry, The One That Got Away

Violet then slung both of their backpacks across her shoulder and rolled him into school

Violet then slung both of their backpacks across her shoulder and rolled him into school. Artie was glaring ahead. He hated being treated like a child. When they both entered into the school, Violet handed him his bag which he pretty much yanked out of her hand before rolling away.

She sighed before calling out, "You should go to the nurse!" but Artie didn't respond.

Artie just kept rolling down the hall and made his way to his locker, looking down to make sure he didn't make eye contact with anyone. When tried to put his books in, his bag ended up sliding off of his lap and all of the books fell on the ground once again.

"Woah... hey, dude, are you alright?" Finn asked as he walked up to the struggling senior. He helped Artie pick some of his books up when he realized the gash on his cheekbone, "Woah, wh-wh-what happened to your face?"

"I fell, okay?" Artie replied as he fumbled with putting the remaining papers into his backpack. "The stupid janitor didn't put salt on the ramp like he's supposed to, and my wheels don't have chains, so I slipped backwards and tipped over on the ice. It's fine. It's nothing."

Artie tried to roll past him, but Finn stopped him, "No, no, no, no– hey, hey, hey. That's not nothing. That's some pretty serious road rash. Let me take you to the nurse's office, alright?"

The younger boy just complied and let Finn roll him to the nurse's office to get him checked out. As soon as the arrived there, the nurse immediately went to get the disinfectant and treated the gash on his cheek.

"You hit your head pretty hard. I'm going to go call your mother. Lay down til she gets here."

As the nurse left to go call Artie's mom, Finn got up, "Want me to help you get up on the cot?"

"No," Artie replied almost immediately. "I don't want anybody to help me with anything. I'm tired of being so helpless. I'm tired of everybody pitying me, and I'm tired of being in this damn chair."

"Anyone could have fallen on the ice, alright?" Finn tried to reassure him.

"Yeah, but they could've gotten back up, instead of laying there screaming for help, watching people just walked around me. I had to wait until Violet came and helped me," Artie shouted in frustration.

He looked at Artie sympathetically as he attempted to get onto the cot himself, "Dude, don't bite my head off. But you need some rest, so I'm going to help you out, alright?" The 18 year old ended up accepting Finn's offer.

"I just wish I was never in that dumb chair." Artie then began dozing off, and Finn's voice started to sound far away.

"I know, buddy. I know."