chapter 87: Loser Like Me

It's not simple to say
that most days, I don't recognize me.
That these shoes and this apron
That place and its patrons
have taken more than I gave them.

~The Waitress, She Used To Be Mine

Violet stood under her grandparents' sakura tree and observed how the colored leaves fell onto the ground as the season started to change

Violet stood under her grandparents' sakura tree and observed how the colored leaves fell onto the ground as the season started to change. She admired the leaves, thinking about how her late-jiji would've loved to experience this with her.

He always wanted to take her back to their family home to show her where he grew up, and in a way, he did that. At least that's what Violet would like to think. Turns out his cancer was more aggressive than expected. His remission didn't last long, and with his old age, he succumbed to it.

Violet just wished she could've been there to say her last goodbyes, but she was too late. But still, she stayed in the small southern village, helping her dad, her aunt, and her grandma.

She got a Skype call from her phone, and she sighed, answering it, "Hey, Kurt."

"Hey, how are you holdin' up?"

"Better. I think being around family helps. Baba keeps telling stories, so I think she's doing better too," she smiled softly. "What's up?"

Kurt chuckled, "Well, I just wanted to call you because I found another article about you."

Violet raised an eyebrow, "Really?"

He nodded, "Here let me read it out. 'Violet Anthony, now best known for her role as Fanny Brice for the Broadway revival of Funny Girl, has been off the grid for over three months since she won the Tony for Best Actress. Fans question if she's returning to her low profile life at NYADA, or if this starlet is continuing a new venture now that her contract is rumored to be done.'"

"I don't get why they're so interested in my life," Violet shook her head.

Kurt deadpanned, "You just won the Tony for Best Actress. Anyone who's into Broadway is obviously gonna be interested."

Violet chuckled humorlessly, "Yeah, I wish they weren't. Frankly, I'm done with all of the attention."

SIDNEY'S OFFICE MONTHS PRIOR

"Let me be your Fanny," Violet stated.

Sidney looked at her, confused as ever, "What are you talking about?"

Violet sat down in the seat in front of his desk and repeated herself, "Let me be your Fanny."

"What happened to Rachel?" Sidney questioned. "I thought you wanted to help her keep this role."

Violet breathed out, "Sidney, you've heard the rumors by now."

Sidney scoffed, "Yeah, I'm aware, and I was planning on blacklisting her."