chapter 40: Choke

"Buttercup, no, we can't add body rolls to the Nationals routine!" Violet giggles as she unlocks the front door. The two were just coming back from a date at the local roller rink that Sunday.

"Okay, but hear me out. It'd make our routine way better! I mean I think this could really push us over the edge!"

Violet just laughs and opens the door to her house while Sam just closely follows behind her until he runs into her back.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Sam then looks to where a frozen Violet was staring to see a blonde woman standing in the middle of the living room. They couldn't tell, but her heart was racing and her breathing was shallow, nervous to see her daughter after 10 months.

Violet's jaw was clenched and her nails were digging in the palm of her hand as she narrowed her eyes at the woman in front of her. The tension in the air was thick and filled with animosity. Sam didn't know why, but he was scared of what might happen, but he made the wise decision to stay quiet.

"Who's this? Is this your boyfriend? You know, you really shouldn't be dating–"

Violet cut her off and gritted her teeth, "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in London or whatever?"

"Now, Violet, that's no way to speak to your mother." Sam's eyes widened at the realization of who she was. He's never really seen a picture of Violet's mom, so he had no idea what she looked like. But when he looked closer, he could see where she got her nose and her bone structure.

She glared at her, "I don't have a mother. If I remember correctly, she left because she couldn't handle being a family. As far as I know, I only have a dad."

Violet's mother tried to keep her composure, "I'm not here to fight. I'm here to actually be a mother to you although I'd much rather have this conversation between just the two of us." She gave a pointed look at the green-eyed boy.

Sam looked to Violet and whispered, "Will you be okay alone with her? I can stay down here if you want."

"It's okay. I'll be okay," she smiled slightly at him before he kissed her cheek.

"Okay, well I'll be going up to my room..." Sam said awkwardly before he made his escape.

Violet walked closer to the woman hesitantly and set her bag down by the couch.

"I hope your father knows that your boyfriend is staying in our house. I can't believe that at 16, you're living with a boy," her mother tsked.

"I'm 17," Violet muttered.

"What was that?" She was about to criticize Violet, but she didn't give her the chance.

Violet looked her into her piercing blue eyes and said louder, "I'm 17 years old."

"Oh."

"Dad also let Sam stay here. Dad even stayed with me and Sam when I was recovering from the car wreck I was in, but I'm guessing you wouldn't know," she sneered, her tone unwavering. She was done backing down from her mother.

This new demeanor threw Anastasia Anthony. She wasn't used to her daughter's confidence. She wasn't used to her daughter talking back in this tone, but to be frank, she wasn't used to her daughter really talking at all.

"Well, I actually knew that. I talked to your father–"

"You talked to dad?" Violet asked, but she just ignored her like always.

"–and he told me about your little accident when we were reconciling." She walked over and took a seat on the couch, patting the seat next to her for Violet to sit, but Violet opted to stand.