chapter 19: Rumors

Violet was putting a dish of mac and cheese in the oven while two small blonde children were working on their homework on the kitchen counter. She was babysitting for the Evans' again, but this time, Violet just communicated with Sam's mom since he was still ignoring her. At this point, it's been almost a week and a half since Sam's talked to Violet and it killed her. He at least could look at her again which was a little progress in her eyes, and it gave her the tiniest sliver of hope that Sam wouldn't hate her anymore.

"Violet, you and Sammy should date." Stacy stopped doing her homework and looked at Violet. Stevie had no clue what was going on. He was listening to Violet's music from her iPod, just tuning out the world.

Violet shook her head, "I don't think that's a good idea, Stace."

The little girl pouted, "Why not? He used to talk about you a ton, and my mom even said that you two would be really cute together since you both talked on the phone so much."

Violet started to blush, "U-Uh... I uh... Well, Stacy, Sam is mad at me right now."

"Why?"

Violet stood across from her, "I did a bad thing. I hurt Sam emotionally, and even though I said sorry, Sam hasn't forgiven me yet."

"I should go tell him to forgive you so you two can date." Little Stacy was determined.

Violet widened her eyes, "No no no, you shouldn't do that. Sam deserves to have space and forgive me at his own pace, and it'd be okay if he doesn't ever forgive me. I'd understand. Now, you, lil miss, need to finish your homework."

"Ah, but it'll make you smarter. And then one day..." Violet looked around and whispered, "You can be smarter than your brothers." This made Stacy's eyes light up and it renewed her motivation to finish her homework which made Violet giggle. She enjoyed her time with Sam's siblings. They were sweet, and they really liked her. She was glad that she could provide the kids with some sort of escape while they were going through this hardship. She just wanted to do anything she could to help. She even offered for them to stay at her house because they had the extra rooms, but they declined.

After the two finished their homework and had dinner, Violet packed up the leftover mac and cheese and drove them back to the motel

After the two finished their homework and had dinner, Violet packed up the leftover mac and cheese and drove them back to the motel. She knocked on their door to reveal Mrs. Evans. The kids ran straight into the room and hugged Sam who was working on homework. He looked over to see Violet at the door.

"Thank you so much again for taking the kids."

Violet shook her head, "Oh it's really no problem at all. They're fun to have around. It gets lonely in my house sometimes. Oh! And here's some leftover mac and cheese that I made for the kids. I figured that you haven't really had a lot of home-cooked meals in a while, so I thought I could bring this over. It should still be warm."

Mrs. Evans smiled at the girl, "You're such a sweetheart. I wish we could pay you for babysitting and cooking."

"It's seriously no problem at all. I'm just happy to help. I'd stay and talk more, but unfortunately, it's a school night."