chapter 27: The First Time

It was finally the week of the opening of West Side Story. Violet was excited to see their community to actually see all of their hard work. Since Violet was already so comfortable with Maria, she ended up helping the production with some choreography work that she didn't water down. Because she didn't water her choreography down though, there were extra dance rehearsals implemented where she actually helped the performers out. Something about that just made her feel so accomplished.

Right now, Blaine, Rachel, and Violet were rehearsing "Tonight," but Rachel was rehearsing it for the bulk of the time since she was taking opening night. Artie wanted Violet to take opening night just to ensure that the musical would be sold out, but Violet declined the offer because even though she disliked Rachel, she thought that she deserved a chance to experience what an opening night feels like. Plus, opening nights are almost always sold out.

Once Violet finished rehearsing her part with Blaine, Rachel was up next. Thankfully, Blaine was okay with the extra practice since this is his first show and he didn't want to screw it up.

 Thankfully, Blaine was okay with the extra practice since this is his first show and he didn't want to screw it up

Violet was sitting with the other directors as she observed the duet. Personally, Violet thought that their performance was very surface level. It seemed like they were each just singing a solo together. When they sang the last note, Coach Beiste automatically started clapping, and she had tears in her eyes.

Blaine asked, "Are you gonna cry every time we sing?"

"I'm such a girl." Coach Beiste sniffled.

Ms. Pillbury critiqued, "My only note is more teeth."

Artie closed his binder, "Can I be honest? This song is about sexual awakening, as is the entire musical." Violet looked at Artie confused because that's not really what the musical was about, at least in her eyes. "You two lack passion. Maybe you should learn a thing or two from Violet. Have either of you two actually...?"

The adults in the room automatically felt uncomfortable with what Artie was trying to insinuate so they immediately fled the auditorium.

Artie continued, "Look, I remember my first time with Brittany. The excitement, the way it made me feel like a man... even though she called me the wrong name like four times, during and after." A fact which made Violet stifle a laugh. "What was it like for you guys?"

The pair that was standing automatically looked uncomfortable and they both started to stutter. Blaine said, "I'm-I'm waiting for the right time."

"Yeah. Yeah, me-me too." Rachel then whispered something to Blaine that Vi couldn't make out.

Artie continued, "Look... as your friend, I support your strange aversion to fun, but as your director, I'm concerned."

"I'm-I'm sorry what do you mean?" Rachel asked worriedly.

Violet looked at Artie weirdly, "Yeah... why are you concerned?"

Artie looked at Blaine and Rachel, "Well, how do you expect to convey the human experience to an audience when you haven't even opened yourself up to one of humanity's most basic and primal ones?" He then rolled away and the pair stared at Violet.