chapter 80: New New York pt. 1

Birds flying, you know how I feel
Sun in the sky, you know how I feel
Breeze drifting on by,
you know how I feel
It's a new dawn, it's a new day
it's a new life for me
and I'm feeling good.

~Nina Simone, Feeling Good

Violet wrapped her leather jacket closer to her body as the brisk New York wind nipped at her skin

Violet wrapped her leather jacket closer to her body as the brisk New York wind nipped at her skin. She tried to tuck her freshly cut shoulder-length hair behind her ears as she nervously entered NYADA.

She made her way up to Carmen Tibideaux's office, and she greeted the receptionist who she's gotten to know over the past semester, "Hi, Gale."

Gale removed her glasses to see the girl standing by the door, "Violet Suzuki! How was your Christmas and your New Year's?"

"It went well. I actually went to Ohio with my dad and my boyfriend to visit his family," she smiled at the woman as she grinned at her.

"Oh! Sam right?" Violet nodded at Gale's recollection. "I'm glad that you two are still together. Most high school couples don't last, especially amongst new NYADA students."

Violet chuckled, "Yeah, well, I'd like to think we're different than most. He's my rock and I'm his, and we're both planning to last so..."

"That's wonderful. I hope you two do last. Now," Gale pushed her glasses back up to check her computer, "Madame Tibideaux's free right now, so you can go right in."

"Thank you," Violet nodded at her before walking past her desk and into Carmen's office.

Carmen looked up from her paperwork and smiled warmly at Violet, "You're early."

Violet took a seat, "Like you say, to be early is to be on time."

"That is true." Carmen shut her binder of paperwork, and looked at the girl intensely, "So we'll cut to the chase. I wanted to meet with you now because I'm requiring you to enroll in the class I'm teaching for the winter semester."

Violet adamantly shook her head, "Madame Tibideaux, I can't do that."

"You can, and you will. You're behind on your requirements for your musical theatre minor," Carmen stated firmly.

"That's only because I'm technically a sophomore now. Besides, I wasn't planning on even taking winter classes because Cassandra asked me to help run her classes, and I'm even getting a job at that singing diner to make a little more money since I can't keep relying on my past Broadway money."

Carmen wasn't sympathetic, "Well, then you're either going to have to juggle everything, or you'll have to get your priorities straight. Violet, I'm requiring you to take this class because I need you to get out of your safe zone. Ever since you got to NYADA in the fall, you've been complacent."