chapter 37: Big Brother

TW: car crash

§ § §

Violet could feel her heart racing through her ears, and she shot her eyes open. Everything was upside down. Then she realized, the car was upside down. She looked over at Quinn who was unconscious and bleeding. Her body was contorted so much that something had to be broken.

"Quinn! Quinn! Wake up! Please wake up!"

She just kept staring at her corpse, trying to limit her sobs because she felt like someone took a bat to her ribs. She couldn't tell if her best friend was dead. She just lied there, unmoving. Bleeding.

Violet tried to look around through the broken glass and crushed metal to see if there was someone. Anyone. But they had to be in the middle of nowhere.

"HELP! SOMEONE! HELP! PLEASE!" Violet tried screeching through the pain to see if there was someone that could help. Sobs racked her body as she screamed out until her throat felt raw. Was she going to die?

"Violet!" She looked around at the sound of her name.

"Violet!"

"Violet!"

Her eyes shoot open to see Sam looking over her with a worried look etched on his face.

Violet sighed, "Another night terror?"

Sam nodded, "Same one?" Violet nodded, "Scooch over." She complied and he got into bed beside her and took her into his arms.

It's been a month since the car crash. Luckily, both Quinn and Violet lived with Violet sustaining only minor injuries. She left the hospital relatively unscathed with only a wrist brace and a small scar by her ribs.

She came home from the hospital 3 days after her surgery to Sam and her dad doting on her. They pretty much took shifts watching over her with her dad taking the time when Sam was in school, and Sam taking over at night when Mr. Suzuki needed to get some writing done.

Violet couldn't tell if this was sweet or just annoying.

Eventually, her dad had to leave for Broadway again, only this time, Violet insisted that he go. He was completely content to stay in Lima for the rest of the Broadway season just to be really sure that she was okay. He insisted that he could take it slow, write some music, and hang out with Burke while she recovered, but she knew her dad. She also knew how Broadway and her dad's coworkers worked.

After two weeks, Violet practically forced her dad to get on that plane, claiming that she was okay. He was reluctant, but his coworkers were already pressuring him to come back, and Violet just kept telling him about how okay she was especially since she was starting school again.

Truthfully, if Sam wasn't there, he wouldn't have gone back, but since Violet was going to have someone, he decided to go back.

The only issue was that Violet was lying. She's been having nightmares since the car crash, and they've even upgraded to night terrors since her dad left for New York. The only thing that helps is when Sam comes and holds her until she feels safe again.

Ever since the first time he came and cuddled her until she slept soundly, he's tried to persuade her to just share a bed for now so she can try to get actual sleep.

But she denied, claiming every night that she'll be fine and that she has to learn how to deal with it alone. But every night, Violet screams in her sleep until Sam wakes her up and they fall asleep in each other's arms until the next day when they repeat the process all over again.