chapter 36: On My Way pt. 1

TW: mentions of suicide → if you need me to summarize the main events then just let me know and I can DM you so you can just skip the episode

§ § §

It was finally the week of Regionals. Luckily, Mr. Schue actually followed through with his word, and let Violet implement her backup plan and booty camp before this week.

The New Directions have actually been working hard on their numbers which has made Violet extremely happy but also exhausted. She was already running only on little spurts of sleep, so the stress of making every aspect of Regionals perfect was a lot.

Hence why Sam drove Violet to the Lima Bean to get some caffeine in her. She had just finished an all-nighter to cram for her AP Chem test and the stat class that she just had, and she couldn't rest just yet because she was doing some final adjustments for the number. Sam personally thought that the choreography for Regionals was fine, and that she needed to get more sleep.

This past couple of weeks, Violet's really helped Sam get over Mercedes by hanging out with him more one on one or even friend dates with Mike and Tina or Kurt and Blaine. Since he's spending so much more time with her, he's noticed little things about her. Like how she pulls on her fingers when she's anxious or stressed, or how her dark circles have gotten slightly darker.

So, this has made him against her pulling all-nighters and stressing over Regionals, but he gave in to her caffeine request because he couldn't say no to her puppy dog eyes.

"Ya know, instead of caffeine, you should really get some sleep," Sam persisted.

Violet retaliated, "Ya know, instead of stealing someone else's girlfriend, you should get your own." She then realized what she had just said and immediately apologized, "I'm so sorry, that was mean. I'm just cranky because I haven't been sleeping well."

As Sam was about to get the door for her, a Dalton blazer and a meerkat face exited the store.

Sebastian smirked at her, "Well, well, well. Isn't this a nice surprise? Fancy seeing you here."

She rolled her eyes, "Hi Sebastian. Bye Sebastian." Violet tried to walk past him, but he stopped her.

"Woah there. I thought we were catching up. Can't we just be friendly competitors?"

She crossed her arms, "You tried to blind Kurt and then almost blinded Blaine instead. How's that friendly?"

"Well, I'm willing to be friendly to you. I mean, I just blackmailed Rachel Berry in there, so she wouldn't perform," Sebastian walked up closer to her which made Sam wary. He didn't intervene because Violet was the type of girl that liked to handle her business by herself, but he was ready to get in between them if Sebastian was too aggressive.

"How'd you know that Berry's singing a solo for Regionals?" Violet narrowed her eyes at him.

He chuckled, "Oh, I didn't. I just kind of assumed with Schuester's track record that she'd be singing one. I mean I would've blackmailed you, sweet cheeks, but you're honestly too fun to watch perform. It would be a shame if I prevented you from doing so, really."

Violet just scoffed and walked past him and into the coffee shop with Sam closely following behind. He looked at Sebastian up and down before going inside with her.

§ § §

The next morning, Sam was in his room, shoving his books and notebooks into his bag when he heard a knock at his door. He turned around to Violet throwing her keys at him.