chapter 69: The Quarterback pt. 3

There are times
I feel the shiver and cold,
It only happens when
I'm on my own,
That's how you tell me
I'm not alone

~P!NK, Beam Me Up

Violet and Sam were both walking to the stage to make sure that everything was set up for Sam and Artie's Glee performance that would be happening in about half an hour

Violet and Sam were both walking to the stage to make sure that everything was set up for Sam and Artie's Glee performance that would be happening in about half an hour. Before walking into the auditorium, Violet stopped Sam, "Hey, are you okay to do this?"

"Yeah," Sam said simply, but Violet could see the sadness behind his eyes.

"You know, you've been so worried about me that you haven't really talked to me about how you've been holding up."

Sam took a minute and sat down in the empty hallway, "I am... not doing great."

Violet took a seat next to him as he continued, "I keep trying to be strong, and be this man for everyone, b-but I told you. Finn was one of my best friends. I looked up to him. We argued so much two years ago because I wanted to be him. He was the most popular guy in school. He was the quarterback. Everyone loved him."

Sam looked up at the ceiling, "I thought that I wanted to be him because he had everything I wanted, but I wanted to be him because he was happy. No matter how many problems there were between football and Glee Club, he always did the right thing, and he always did what made him happy. H-He was with Rachel who wasn't the most popular girl because he loved her. He was still in Glee and he was still our leader no matter how much shit he had to take."

Tears fell down his cheeks, "He helped me when I was homeless. He offered me his old clothes. He brought me back to the one place I was the happiest, and I got to see and be with you again. And now he's gone. He's gone and I never even got the chance to tell him how much I appreciated him."

"He knew," Violet replied softly. "I think people start to regret not saying things to Finn because they're afraid he died without knowing that they care about him, but he knew. Finn looked at you like a little brother. That's why he gave you all of that relationship advice with me."

Sam laughed as he wiped the tears from his face, "Yeah, I guess he did."

Violet sighed, "I know I don't believe in God, so I'm probably not the best person to speak on this, but Finn's probably in heaven right now, looking down at us. He'll be here with us no matter what we do."

Sam took her hand, "Thank you. I needed that."

Violet gave him a smile and helped him get up, so they both could help set up the auditorium. Once Glee came around, the stage started to fill with former and current New Directions members, and they all sat in a circle.

Once Mr. Schue gave them the go ahead, Sam started to play the intro to James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" for the group. Violet sat next to Unique, who rested her head on Vi's shoulder sadly, as the group listened to the duet.